Michael Zac & Conny: Michael Zac (Soul of Sydney) & Conny make their long-awaited BBRS guest appearance as they join Eddie Mac for a fun afternoon with some amazing jazz,bossa nova,soul,boogie and disco tunes.
Stones Throw just dropped this dope video of Dam Funk pushing Synths right out of the trunk of his car in Highland Park Los Angeles.
One of our favorite local singers, SARSHA SIMONE (of DOJO CUTS) drops her new single ‘Lets Dance’ last week and we are seriously feeling the new sound.
“Let’s Dance”, the debut solo single from the intriguing Australian singer Sarsha Simone was officially released to digital last week, “Let’s Dance” has been creating buzz since,
Reaching #82 on the Australian iTunes R&B chart after it’s release over the weekend, “Let’s Dance” is one track you won’t want to sleep on as it walks the line between the edginess of electronic styles and the warmth of R&B.
The closest artist comparison would have to be the urban swank styling of Jidenna crossed with electronic favourites Disclosure. Lyrically, “Let’s Dance” contemplates the freedom and happiness people are always looking to outside sources for, when in reality the answer is within them
Check out more from one of Sydney’s finest:
New single “Let’s Dance” by @sarshasimonemusic (prod. @marleycassette)
Released through @still-i-rise-collective
IHeart Radio: bit.ly/SSLetsDanceiHeart
SOUL OF SYDNEY #230: LARRY LEVAN LIVE AT SOUND FACTORY | MAR 1991
Here is a little recorded treat to help you through your work week. The legendary Larry Levan doing his thing live in he mix at Sound Factory NY. Recorded back in March 1991. T
Mix: Larry Levan live at Sound Factory | 1991
Recorded- March 22nd 1991
Run Time; 75mins approx
Style: Garage, Disco, Hip-House & more.
1. Summer Madness by Kool & Gang
2. Jazz Thing by Rick Clarke
3. Jeffrey Osborne – If My Brother’s In Trouble (Dub Mix)
5. C & C Music Factory Feat. Freedom Williams – Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)
6. Grandmas Party by Monie Love
7. You Don’t Know by Serious Intention
8. Ping Pong by Espresso
9. Groove Me by Seduction
10. Black Betty by Ram Jam (Rough ‘N Ready Remix)
11. Can’t Get Enough by Liz Torres (Spanish)
12. Face It (12” Dub Mix) by Master C&J feat. Liz Torres
13. Gipsy Woman by Chrystal Waters
14. Michael McDonald – All We Got (Never Enough) (Shep Pettibone Remix)
If you are digging the vibe be sure to check out our next jam on Sunday July 19 |
SOUL OF SYDNEY LARRY LEVAN BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE – JULY 19 2015.
An afternoon of New York DISCO, Roller BOOGIE & beyond from the PARADISE GARAGE era.
Feat. Sydney Disco Godfather
STEPHEN ALLKINS [love tattoo]
Plus DJ Support from
SOUL OF SYDNEY DJ’s & Friends.
PHIL TOKE (Soul of Sydney, Spirit of House)
BOOGIE MONSTER (Alex Dimitriades)
JIM POE (Bondi Beach Radio)
DANNY DE SOUSA
+ more tba.
★★Get Tix from $10 ★★
Listen // Sound Cloud Playlist //
Videos, Info & Mixtapes at www.soulofsydney.org/blockparty
Dalindèo : Kallio
Dalindèo’s music is a cinematic jazz creation reminiscient of the ambience of movies by Finnish great Aki Kaurismäki mixed with a Tarantinoesque vibe of danger and suspense. Kallio, initially released only in Finland, won the prize of “Best Jazz Album of 2013” at the Emma-Awards, the Finnish Grammys. A musical hommage to the Kallio-district in Helsinki, it debuted on the Finnish album-chart at number 13, one of the highest ranking jazz albums of all time and stayed on the chart for 6 weeks. We at BBE are very proud to present Kallio to a wider, international audience now. Especially for the worldwide release on BBE the band added an exclusive unreleased bonus track to the album and BBE family-member Mr Bird did a brilliant remix of the track “Rhythm of Kallio”
Episode #001 features a dope SUMMER SOUL & JAZZ vibes thanks to Sydney’s Japanese wax assassin DJ MAKOTO.
Time: 60+ Mins
Genre: Soul, Jazz
1. Quincy Jones – Mellow Madness
2. Zerosen – Sunrise
3. Cannonball Adderley – Capricorn
4. The Blackbyrds – Wilford’s Gone
5. Galt Macdermot – Ripped Open By Metal Explosions
6. Jimmy McGriff – Back On The Track
7. Monk Higgins – Little Green Apples
8. Blue Mitchell – Melody for Thelma
9. Sammy Nestico – Shoreline Drive
10. Harold Wheeler – Black Cream
11. Young-Holt Unlimited – Wah-Wah Man
12. Roy Ayers Ubiquity – The Black Five
13. Jonny Miller – Everyday
14. Gary Bartz – Gentle Smiles
15. Faze-O – Riding High
16. Cortex – La Rue
17. John Klemmer – Free Soul
18. Idris Muhammad – Crab Apple
19. Ju-Par Universal Orchestra – Time
20. Frank Cunimondo Trio Introducing Lynn Marino – Feeling Good
21. Fred Johnson – A Child Runs Free
22. Donny Hathaway – Valdez In The Country
23. Pasquale Castiglione & Paola Casa – Chase
25. J.A.M. – Jazzy Joint (feat. Jose James)
26. Marc Mac – Smoker
As we head in to Australia Day long weekend, we through it is only right we share some dope local music for our Friday Mixtape. This is one from April last year and featuring some straight tropical Afro Latin HEAT courtesy of a little podcast tribute we put together for our good friends local 8 piece Latin funk powerhouse WATUSSI.
Style: Afro-Colombian Reggae, Roots, Funk & Beyond
Time: 45 Mins
Recorded:April 1 2004
1/ Cuando Sera
3/ Tu Te Vas
6/ El olvido
7/ Como mi ritmo
9/ Echale fuego
D’ANEGLO SOULFEST WARM UP TRIBUTE BY SOUL OF SYDNEY DJ’s (April 2014) [Over 50,000 listens]
LISTEN HERE AT HEART THIS
Time: 91 Mins
Genre: Neo-Soul, Jazz, Hip Hop Goodness
Recorded: April 2014
We put this tribute together back in April to pay homage D’angelo and it caught fire pretty quick, with over 13,000 listens just on soundcloud alone.
The mix was put together to showcase the phenomenal work from one of the finest soul artists of our generation who will be playing a highly anticipated show at SOULFEST tomorrow with the likes of Aloe Blacc, Maxwell, Common, Mos Def.
Check out the mix and be sure to check out the inaugural SOULFEST festival tomorrow, info below.
- D’ANGELO – INTRO
- D’ANGELO – ALRIGHT
- D’ANGELO – THE LINE
- D’ANGELO – THE ROOT
- D’ANGELO – CRUISIN’
- D’ANGELO – SHIT, DAMN, MOTHERFUCKER
- D’ANGELO – LADY
- D’ANGELO – BROWN SUGAR
- D’ANGELO – PLAYA PLAYA
- THE ROOTS FEAT. D’ANGELO – THE HYPNOTIC
- D’ANGELO – BULLSHIT
- RAPHAEL SAADIQ AND D’ANGELO – BE HERE
- D’ANGELO – FEEL LIKE MAKING LOVE
- D’ANGELO – ME AND THOSE DREAMIN EYES
- D’ANGELO – SMOOTH
- SNOOP, DR DRE & D’ANGELO – IMAGINE
- THE ROOTS, ERYKAH BADU, D’ANEGLO – SHINING STAR
- D’ANGELO – I FOUND MY SMILE
- D’ANGELO – CHICKEN GREASE
- D’ANGELO – DEVILS PIE
- D’ANGELO – GIRL YOU NEED A CHANGE OF MIND
- FELA KUTI, D’ANGELO, MACY GRAY – WATER GET NO ENEMY
- METHOD MAN, REDMAN, D’ANGELO – LEFT AND RIGHT
- D’ANGELO – WHEN WE GET BY
- D’ANGELO – SPANISH JOINT
It looks like the weather has cleared just in time for the highly anticipated inaugural SOULFEST: Neo-Soul & Hip Hop festival. We can confirm we will be throwing down some vibes as Soul of Sydney DJ’s in between sets on the SPOTIFY stage & we also have a handful of the last GA + VIP hardcopy industry tix for sale for anyone who hasn’t snapped tix up yet.
SOULFEST SYDNEY SET TIMES- SATURDAY OCT 18
11.10 – Mau Power (Spotify Stage)
11.25 – Milan (Spotify Stage)
11.40 – Michaek Duchesne (Main Stage)
12.05 – Leela James (Main Stage)
12.45 – Gang of Brothers (Spotify Stage)
1.05 – Anthony Hamilton (Main Stage)
1.45 – Thadiwe Phoenix (Spotify Stage)
2.05 – Angie Stone (Main Stage)
2.45 – Darryl Beaton (Spotify Stage)
3.05 – Musiq Soulchild (Main Stage)
3.50 – Miracle (Spotify Stage)
4.10 – Mos Def (Main Stage)
4.55 – Ms Murphy (Spotify Stage)
5.30 – Aloe Blacc (Main Stage)
6.05 – Nathaniel (Spotify Stage)
6.30 – Common (Main Stage)
7.15 – Ngaiire (Spotify Stage)
7.40 – D’Angelo (Main Stage)
9.10 – Maxwell (Main Stage)
Time: 70 Mins
Style: Soul, R&B, Hip Hop, Funk, Acid-Jazz,
DJ: DJ Say Whut?!
About the Mix:
Going out to the brave men and women who fought to bring us freedom today. A tribute to the diggers! Also going out to those who dig for funky beats and grooves in their local record stores!
Fred Wesley & The Horny Horns – A Blow For Me, A Toot To You (Space Mix)
Gangstas & Thugs – Just Another Day
Beverley Knight – Beautiful Contradiction (feat Musiq Soulchild)
Cutty Ranks – The Stopper (Mark Rae Remix)
Talib Kweli feat Vinia Mojica – The Blast
Adriana Evans – Remember The Love
Stevie Wonder – Too High
The Impressions – Whole Lot Of Good, Good Lovin
Sly & Robbie – Superthruster
Us3 – Say You Belong To Me
II D Extreme – Yummy
Family Stand – Ghetto Heaven
Orgone – I Get Lifted
Quincy Jones – We B. Dooinit (Acappella Party)
Skipworth & Turner – Thinkin About Your Love
The Dynamites feat Charles Walker – Do The Right Thing
Omar feat Angie Stone – Stylin
About Say Whut?!
After surviving a collision with a tanker truck filled with milk and toxic waste (it was a special truck) when he was just a boy, DJ SayWhut?! was in a coma for 4 years where he dreamt of nothing but cheeseburgers. When he awoke he found that he had the ability to hear lower end frequencies very clearly and could foresee what the next song was going to be chosen (in shuffle mode) on a person’s iPod from 100 yards away. The iPod was then invented 15 years later. This brought on a revelation that he should play music in some form or another. When making fart noises with his armpits wasn’t enough he decided to pick up the headphones and become a DJ.
Cutting his teeth as a breakbeat DJ in Sydney in 2004, DJ SayWhut?! has always been known to play some of the funkiest basslines in breaks – keeping it hard and bouncy yet keeping the people dancing on the floor. With residencies at Broke’n’beats @ Kink and Chinese Laundry, SayWhut?! has played to a wide variety of crowds knocking them senseless to the floor with his barrage of bassline melodies and quick mixing ability. After the breakbeat phenomenon went out of fashion, SayWhut?! looked towards more organic sounds and started playing funk, soul, disco, boogie, hip hop and R&B still staying true to that funky bassline mentality.
Catch DJ Say Whut?! playing some regular residencies around town Ravisis in Bondi, at our Soul of Sydney Block Parties & this weeks ‘History of Hip Hop’ special as part of Sydney Fringe Festival.
HISTORY OF HIP HOP – THURS Sept 12 :
2SER’s popular History of Hip Hop series returns to Sydney Fringe. Stepping back in the ring for bout three, it’s East Coast versus West Coast as 2SER’s own DJ Frenzie (Groove Therapy) and the In The Red crew go up against Raine Supreme and Saywhut.
Event Link –> 2013.sydneyfringe.com/event/music-an…istory-hip-hop
- Watch List Select: Bo Saris, Satin Beretta, Ben Stevenson (thenext2shine.com)
- EVENT: ‘Paris / Berlin / Detroit: 20 Years of Underground Techno’ Film Screening + Q & A as Part of Sydney Fringe Festival | Chicago, History, Detroit, Techno, House, Deep House Sydney, (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- Spirit of House Classic Mix: Ron Hardy Live at the Music Box 1985 (chicago) (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- ★ SUNDAY DISCO MIX ★ Marcel Vogel Sunday afternoon, Day-Time, Soul, Funk, Hip Hop & Disco Grooves. (soulofsydney.org)
- Friday DISCO & HOUSE MIX! Marcel Vogel (Lumberjacks in Hell, Intimate Friends, Amsterdam) Live in Rotterdam 2012 – last 2 hours | deep house sydney (spiritofhouse.com.au)
- Music Video: JMSN – Love & Pain (thenext2shine.com)
- Mree talks new album Winterwell, musical simplicity, & Bon Iver co-signing her talent.. (thenext2shine.com)
- Soundcheck: Open Road Playlist (nosowildchild.wordpress.com)
- 獲取988 FM 的 streaming URL (mhwong2007.wordpress.com)
J J Cale dead at 74: Tributes paid to singer songwriter after his death from a heart attack
The singer songwriter was a Grammy Award winner and collaborated with Eric Clapton
Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/going-out/music/j-j-cale-dead-74-2095658#ixzz2aGl2cwyg
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook