Playing tonight (Oct 11th) @ Pier 4
Check Facebook Event for Info
WORD TRAVELS FESTIVAL 2013 PRESENTS:
This will be Ursula’s only full set in the festival!
US performance artist Ursula Rucker, is the queen of spoken-word. One of the strongest female poets performing today. Critics have compared Ursula to celebrated writers like Sonia Sanchez and Nikki Giovanni.
Ursula is known for award-winning solo albums like Silver and Lead as well as her work with The Roots. She created a spoken word contribution for The Roots debut album, Do You Want More?
Her track Unlocking, which closed the album, introduced Ursula to the world of progressive hip-hop and led to subsequent invitations to collaborate on The Roots albums.
Ursula’s work has been described as part of a growing movement that is slowly adapting its aural sensibilities to women, particularly in hip-hop and urban music. Ursula plays an essential role in the rise of a new crop of female recording artists who deliver strong, intelligent, and a visionary feminine flavour.
Sydney spoken-word powerhouse Candy Royalle opens the evening with her own stage-shaking poetry. Candy is a multi-disciplinary poet and artist who combines powerfully-crafted stories with theatrics, vocal harmonies and a can’t-look-away charisma.
She has performed her work both nationally and internationally from the Sydney Writers Festival to festivals in the UK and Spain. Candy recently won the Nimbin Performance Poetry World Cup. She just returned from Texas and the Austin Poetry Festival. She has appeared in the SMH, Daily Telegraph, on ABC Radio and CNN.
- I Believe (Spoken Word Poem) (alvinfar.wordpress.com)
- Not Just Another Story: The Ursula Dianne Barwick case. (findourneighbours.wordpress.com)
- Scratch Mixer (southbankcentre.co.uk)
- Society of the Spoken Word Event: Tonight! 28/09/2013 (lunaelektra.com)
- Laud De Poet Releases Wordithology (poetsaloud.wordpress.com)
- Spoken-Word Poets Bring Words to Life for Students (edweek.org)
- “Cause He’s Black” spoken word by Javon Johnson (theindpndntworldwide.com)
- Sept 27, 2013, 5-6pm, second hour of a two hour show – featuring the remainder of the Blue Denim Press interview/discussion begun in the first hour and then readings, again, by Ursula Pflug and Shane Joseph. (findingavoiceoncfrcfm.wordpress.com)
- Mutle Mothibe: the Spoken Word Artist With a Difference.. (thescribbleemporium.wordpress.com)
- Lighthouse Ministries – Open Mic Night (themississippicollegian.com)