Tickets: On Sale at Resident Advisor,
Info: Check Facebook Event
Mix: Sasse Live on Ben Watt Buzzin Fly Radio
In 2009 CO-OP delivered debut Sydney appearances from some of the brightest international producer and DJ talents pushing the deeper shades of House and Disco (see Motor City Drum Ensemble, Vincenzo, Motorcitysoul and The Revenge). With the dawn of a new year and a new decade the CO-OPerative’s commitment to showcasing the sounds of artists we think you need to hear in an environment where they can be fully appreciated (intimate, good sound, nice crowd, blah blah blah) shows no sign of abating with our first party of 2010 headlined by the brains behind Berlin’s revered Moodmusic label, Sasse.
It’ll be no surprise to regular dancers that our European guest will be unleashing tuneage for virtually the whole night courtesy of a full 5 hour set – yes, we do like to make our DJs earn their dollars, damn straight. As well as running his Moodmusic imprint for nearly 15 years (the label is currently home to Phonogenic, Dave DK, Nick Chacona and Dirt Crew among others, and in the past has issued work from big hitters Henrik Schwarz, DJ T, Spirit Catcher, Kiki and Mugwump), Sasse (real name Klas Lindblad) has released original tracks on over 20 labels including his own since 1996. Veering from future Disco to Detroit House, via his trademark melodic deepness, these cuts and numerous remixes have graced a diverse cross-section of quality electronic music stables since 1996, including F Communications, Compost, Mule Electronic, Bear Funk, Playhouse, Highgrade and Trapez. To add even more weight to his obvious pedigree, consider the following Sasse facts:
• He runs another two labels, Must! Records and Sunday Music, the latter in partnership with Henrik Schwarz with whom he also produces under the Asshole & Gentleman alias (Moodmusic released Henrik’s first ever productions)
• He holds bi-monthly residencies at a pair of Berlin’s most talked about bastions of dance, Berghain/Panorama Bar and Weekend, with Robert Johnson in Stuttgart a previous haunt
• He co-owns a studio with Ewan Pearson in Berlin, with whom, alongside Metro Area’s Darshan Jesrani, he has done production work for Everything But The Girl’s Tracey Thorn among others
• He has released two full length artist albums as Sasse, ‘Made Within The Upper Stairs Of Heaven’ (2006) and ‘Toinen’ (2008)
• He is originally from Finland and also records under several other pseudonyms including Freestyle Man, Sassomatic and The Green Men (with Nick Chacona)
After a jaunt across town for the MCDE party in December February’s CO-OP returns to the scene of the crime, otherwise known as The Civic Underground. This means the fundamentals for a good night’s dancing and prancing are pretty much guaranteed with the room boasting the best club sound-system in Sydney, a maximum capacity of 300 people and the ability to go until the sun comes up. Result.
With our headliner’s skill as a DJ meaning he’s more than capable of playing the entire night, the CO-OP residents will simply be warming the system and dancers up for him for the first couple of hours with some old, new, borrowed and, err, blue musica.
As for tickets, well, the last party totally sold out in advance, which kind of says it all really. Visit our friends at Resident Advisor (www.residentadvisor.net) to cross their palms with silver (or your credit card details) in order to secure a place on the magical floor of the dance for the night of Saturday 6th February.
Born in Finland in 1973, Klas Lindblad has been DJing since the end of the 80s and embracing his calling for electronic music from the early 90s. He ran one of the ﬁrst House clubs in Turku, Finland from 1992 to 1996 and was a regular guest at the major parties in the Finnish dance scene in this period. Around this time he also started producing and soon debuted his efforts on Sähkö/Puu as Freestyle Man. His early work has been considered a milestone in the Scandinavian House sound and the original 12”s remain highly sought after.
In 1996 Lindblad launched Moodmusic with the label’s ﬁrst release entitled ‘Sasse Presents…’, a 4-track EP heavily inﬂuenced by NYC and Detroit House. Instantly creating a buzz on European dance-ﬂoors, following releases put Moodmusic firmly on the radar of DJs and fans of quality electronic House with its distinctive sound, the first class A&R talents of Sasse and an artist roster which has at various points featured key scene players such as Henrik Schwarz and DJ T.
Fast-forward to 1999 and Sasse left Finland to head for Germany, Frankfurt to be precise. He soon won a residency at the famous Robert Johnson club and promoted his highly successful ‘Finnish First’ nights there for the next few years. In 2003 Berlin became his new home and after fellow local, close friend and now House hero Henrik Schwarz put out his first musical explorations on Moodmusic the pair gave birth to Sunday Music, a platform for their co-productions. Sasse also runs Must! Records as an outlet for more obscure Disco, Italo and Chicago House edits.
In 2005, in collaboration with Ewan Pearson and Filippo Moscatello, Sasse built his beloved BlackHead Studios in Prenzlauer Berg and started work on his ﬁrst artist album. The LP, ‘Made Within The Upper Stair Of Heaven’, dropped on Moodmusic in 2006 to critical acclaim, with the singles from the record, ‘Soul Sounds’, ‘Losing Touch’ (featuring Kiki’s distinctive vocals) and ‘Up To You’ making waves in the global deep House scene and beyond. His second studio album ‘Toinen’ (‘Second’ in Finnish) saw the light of day in late 2008 and received inevitable support from all right people in all the right places.
These days Sasse’s weekdays are spent nailed to his studio chair working under one of his many aliases (including Freestyle Man, Sassomatic, Asshole & Gentleman with Henrik Schwarz and The Green Men with Nick Chacona) on remix and production output that consistently graces the world’s finest electronic labels. At weekends, however, his attention turns to his first love – DJing. Over the last 5 years, the success of his forays as a producer and label owner have seen him booked to play at the majority of those local and international House clubs that can truly be considered great. With his bi-monthly residencies at Berghain/Panorama Bar and Weekend, as well as regular gigs at Watergate and Cookies, he also continues to do his thing at the coolest/hottest parties Berlin club-land has to offer.
With EPs soon to drop on Moodmusic and Dirt Crew (both co-produced with James Flavour, one half of Dirt Crew), plus the release of new work from his imprint’s impressive current roster of Phonogenic, Dave DK, Nick Chacona, Dirt Crew, Chopstick & Johnjon and Alexander Maier, 2010 is looking likely to be another bumper year for Sasse – he wouldn’t have it any other way.
Tickets: On Sale at Resident Advisor,
Info: Check Facebook Event
#1 Live On Ben Watt Buzzin Fly Radio
- Paris For Lovers – Bootleg
- Chez Damier – Forever Monna (Bootleg)
- Filippo Moscatello – Houz (Quarion’s Start Stop Remix) – Moodmusic
- Gegenheimer & Jenius – Cadaques – Moodmusic
- P’taah – Sun’s Departure (DJ Spinna Funktech Mix) – Street King
#2 Sasse Live @ You FM Club night Germany
- [22:00] Franksen & Tom Wax – Full House
- [22:05] DJ Falk – House Of God (Lemon Popsicle Remix) (Promo – In Press)
- [22:12] Promo – Year Of The Day
- [22:17] Echonomist – Chute (Ed Davonport Mix) (Time Has Changed – THCV 13)
- [22:22] Martin Eyerer & Glimpse – Things Like This (Jay Shepherd Remix)
- [22:27] Einmusik – Atl Antis (Einmusika – 3)
- [22:34] Hatikvah – Synchronicity (Chopstick & Johnjon Remix) (Baalsaal – BAAL 12)
- [22:40] Scope – This Rhythm (Florian Kruse & Nils Nuernberg Remix) (NRK – 152)
- [22:45] James Flavour & Sasse – Who Is In The House (Dirt Crew – In Press)
- [22:52] Spencer Parker – You Got Me Up (NRK – In Press)
- [22:57] Gruber & Nuernberg – Traffic (Bloop – 12010)
- [23:04] Till Von Sein & Tigerskin – Love (Dirt Crew – 36)
- [23:09] Sasse – Reject (Black – 1)
- [23:16] Martin Eyerer & Benno Blome – Piano Roll (Ramon Tapia Remix) (Great Stuff – GSR 90)
- [23:22] Frenchie – Hiatus (Nicole Moudaber Remix) (Antiqua – ANTQ 1)
- [23:30] Penner & Muder – Speak Your Mind (Mood – In Press)
- [23:38] Chopstick, Johnjon & Nilss Penner – Sun Rises In The East (Absurd – ASD 9)
- [23:47] Freestyle Man – Vibin (Hairy Claw – HC 14)
- [23:56] Filippo Moscatello – Kleinmond (James Flavour Remix) (Mood – 77)