Chicago’s Derrick Carter doing his thing live on a secret Sydney balcony for Boiler Room a few weeks back.
If you have to touch up a classic.. this is how it should be done.. lovely work the mighty Ron Hardy turning this into a mad dance floor stomper.
Long LIVE REAL HOUSE MUSIC!!
For lovers of dance-floor funk & disco.. check another dope mix by Chicago’s Finest, DJ RAHAAN recorded for Voices Agency, its another fine section of infections funk groves & hand made disco edit goodness.
Nothing but 100% express yourself music on a Sunday afternoon in March with local support including super rare disco and boogie sets from Gian Aprino, Shan Frenzie, Phil Toke, Soul of Sydney DJ’s & Friends. (email us at soulofsydney for very limited early bird tix)
DJ RAHAAN (CHICAGO) – SUN MARCH 24 (AFTERNOON SET)
AN AFTERNOON TRIBUTE TO 30+ YEARS OF HOUSE MUSIC & ITS DISCO-FUNK ROOTS
STRICTLY SOUL- DISCO – FUNK – BOOGIE & EARLY HOUSE VIBES
Our House Sydney & Soul Of Sydney are proud and excited to present renowned Chicago DJ, Rahaan. Having been inspired by Chicago dance pioneers such as Ron Hardy, Farley Jackmaster Funk, and The Hot Mix 5, Rahaan has been playing music spanning everything from DEEP HOUSE, DISCO, BOOGIE & FUNK since the 80’s & is the dopest DISCO DJ around if your ask us.
His fearsome talent behind the decks has led to a fanatical worldwide following while his mixes are highly regarded, weaving rare and choice cuts flawlessly.
Rahaan has released numerous tracks through music labels JiscoMusic, Stilove4music, KAT and was a producer on Peven Everett’s “Sexy One” on Unified Records. His performances have spanned the globe and included famed parties such as the Southport Weekender, Northern Soul and Bring The Heat.
Local support includes Frenzie (Groove Therapy Radio), Gian Arpino (Tan Crackers Soul Club) Phil Toke, Michael Zac, Eadie Ramia and Soul Of Sydney DJ’s
First release $15+BF Pre-sale tickets are available from http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?447318
ABOUT SPIRIT OF HOUSE?
Spirit Of House is a secret afternoon party collaboration between Soul of Sydney & Our House put on every couple of months to pay homage to the last 30+ years of House music & its Disco-Funk roots in unique & interesting locations. We make a special point pay tribute to the DJ’s, Producers and iconic clubs who have helped create and shape House music over the last three decades. Figures & Clubs such as Frankie Knuckles, Larry Levan, Ron Hardy, Glenn Underground, John Morales, Kerri Chandler, Ron Trent, Joey Negro, Joe Claussell, Danny Krivit, Kenny Dixon Jr, Theo Parrish, Norman Jay, Lil Louis Masters At Work The Warehouse, Zanzibar, The Musik Box and The Paradise Garage.
Our House Sydney & Soul-Of Sydney, bringing you that BODY MUSIC!
CHICAGO HOUSE – NY DISCO – GARAGE – FUNK – BOOGIE – DEEP HOUSE – ACID HOUSE
SOUL OF SYDNEY BLOCK PARTY | SPIRIT OF HOUSE VIDEOS:
- A TASTE OF HONEY @ SPIRIT OF HOUSE – WATCH HERE
- SOUL TRAIN @ ROOFTOP BLOCK PARTY – WATCH HERE
- ELECTRIC SLIDE DANCE @ SECRET BLOCK PARTY – WATCHHERE
- PENE FLAMENCA BREAKDOWN @ SPIRIT OF HOUSE WAREHOUSE PARTY – WATCH HERE
- SECRET BLOCK PARTY HIGHLIGHTS – WATCH HERE
PICNIC PRESENTS ONE NIGHT STAND FEAT. CANYONS
SATURDAY 14TH JULY
BYO WAREHOUSE LOCATION TBA
ADDRESS RELEASED THROUGH PICNICSTUFF.COM.AU
TICKETS $20 PRESALE THROUGH RESIDENT ADVISOR
Well we invited Simon Caldwell back for a second appearance at One Night Stand because he was so bloody exceptional the first time around, and we couldn’t resist doing the very same with Canyons after they utterly blew our minds at the warehouse last year. Quite seriously, it was one of the most amazing things we’ve ever witnessed.
In the time since then, the lads have dropped their stunning debut album, ‘Keep Your Dreams’, which the world received with open arms. They performed as a killer live act for the first time too, as if their musical credibility wasn’t high enough already. But although they’ve taken the live show on tour and delighted thousands (perhaps millions, or even billions!), back at the warehouse they’ll be doing what they’ve been doing so bloody well for years: exposing us to some ridiculous, impossible, magnificent records. They’re a truly unique force behind the decks and we’re pretty stoked to be having them back for an ALL NIGHT WOODSTOCK JAM.
Yes, the theme for this one is Woodstock. Come be carefree love-loving hippies with us and psych out to some mind melting music. We’re all one big happy dirty smokey family – minus the mud!
So this is how it happens: Canyons play from the moment the gates open (10pm) until the very end (??am) at a wonderful warehouse location which will be disclosed close to the party. It’s BYO, and you can snap up cheap presale tickets from Resident Advisor:
May 2012 promo mix
Old E 800 (Omar-S remix) – Big Strick
Shadow Figures – Grey People ft Lee Crowe
Fort Green House – N.Y. House’n Authority
Liquid (Original Mix) – Dream 2 Science
Spray Paint – Gene Hunt
Anthony Shake Shakir Meets BBC
Glorious World – Johnwaynes
B1 – Appointment 004
Impressions of a Rainstorm – Levon Vincent
Braiden – The Alps
Soundscape (Intricate mix) – Kosmic Messenger
Meeting da Duke – DJ Duke
Rubick’s Cube – Drexciya
A Fish Scene – DJ Du Jour
- Magda Sayeg: the yarn bomber (lostateminor.com)
- Look of the Day: Zip Me Up (fabsugar.com)
- Look of the Day: Feeling Psychedelic (fabsugar.com)
- Look of the Day: Crazy About Flowers (fabsugar.com)
Ce Ce Peniston – Finally
Rare Earth – Happy Song Or Dance (Edit)/Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams (Victor Rosado Tracks Live Mix)
Virgo – Mechanically Replayed
Mission Control – Outer Limits
PM Dawn – Watcher’s Point of View (Todd Terry Mix)
Voyage – Lady America
The Prince Of Dance Presents Sunday Adams – (Oohh Ohh Ah Ha) I Wanna Feel It!
Petra & Co – Just Let Go (Dub)
?? – ??
Moby – Go
Moby – Mobility
Adamski – Killer
Urban Soul – Alright
Toxic Two – Rave Generator
Smallage – Together
45mn oldschool session live from Chicago.
01. K.I.D. – Hupendi Muziki Wangu? ! (You Don’t Like My Music)
02. James Wells – True Love Is My Destiny
03. Exodus – Together Forever
04. Change – Glow Of Love
05. Ian Dury – Spasticus Autisticus
06. Mike T – Do It Anyway You Wanna
07. Don Ray – Standing In The Rain
08. General Johnson – Can’t Nobody Love Me Like You Do
09. Trussel – Love Injection
Thanks to Lobbykiller, ALX & Jacob for completing the playlist and bozman for sharing.
- No more Teletubbies: Paralympics opening ceremony director speaks (guardian.co.uk)
- Nadia Albina at REASONS TO BE CHEERFUL rehearsals (graeaetheatrecompany.wordpress.com)
- ‘A big, loud, crazy, in yer face celebration of rock ‘n’ roll’ (graeaetheatrecompany.wordpress.com)
- 100 Best Songs of the 1970s 20 – 11 (waldina.com)
- Autism Awareness: Spasticus Autisticus (springingtiger.wordpress.com)
- What Chicago Guys Think About What You’re Wearing (refinery29.com)
- 7 Classic Tracks (dangerousminds.net)
- A visit from a Blockhead… (graeaetheatrecompany.wordpress.com)
- ian dury – new boots & panties!! (punkdaddy.wordpress.com)
- The sounds of February courtesy of Sharemyplaylists.com (spotify.com)
- Block Party Track of The Day – Joubert Singers – Stand On The World (Larry Levan Remix) (soulofsydney.org)
- The sounds of February courtesy of Sharemyplaylists.com (spotify.com)
- Spirit of House Picnic (ourhousesydney.wordpress.com)
- Soul of Sydney: Free Australia Day Soul Funk Hip Hop & Disco Block Party Picnic (thursday 26th Jan) (family Friendly, Pet Friendly, Sydney Festival) (soulofsydney.org)
Kerri Chandler dropping Larry Heard’s classic ‘The sun cant compare’ @ Circoloco Croatia
Soul Of Sydney and Our House Sydney are blessed to present one of the legends (not used lightly) of New York Disco and an early pioneer of dance music production, remixing and DJ‘ing – John Morales.
John has been involved in the creation of hit DISCO records for the better part of 30 years with over 500 songs on his own, and as part of John Morales & Sergio Munzibai (M & M Productions). Known in the industry as an innovator and chance taker, John has always welcomed the challenge of working with new artists and can lay claim to being one of the originators of the extended mix, remix and re-edit concept.
Having worked, remixed or edited everyone from Marvin Gaye, Inner Life, Jocelyn Brown, Fantastic Aleems, Teddy Pendergrass, Harold Melvin, Evelyn Thomas, Fantastic Aleems, Brass Construction, War, Candi Staton, Loletta Holloway, First Choice, Salsoul Orchestra & Double Exposure just to name a few, expect John to give a FUNK & DISCO lesson covering 30+ years of the sound that shaped music as we know it today.
Local supports include Gian Arpino, Phil Toke, Alex Dimitriades, Phil Hudson & Soul of Sydney DJ’s
Special limited $15 presale tickets are available via email from either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Also check out www.soulofsydney.org/blockparty for more ticket info.
In 1975 while working as a DJ in local Bronx club, John Morales realised that he wanted to lengthen the duration of some of his records. Back then the duration of most records was 3 to 4 minutes, so by using his TEAC 71/2 and a box of razor blades, John started splicing tape for endless hours and became one the first DJ’s to create the ‘extended mix’ (or ‘remix’ in it’s original form). In doing so, he realised that he could achieve a similar outcome by cutting, slicing and taping parts from different recordings. This formed the basis for his acclaimed (deadly) medleys. John says “I can still see the 100’s of edits zoom by every-time I play the tape”. John Morales started to release some of his reel to reel edits, medleys and remixes to Acetate via the Sunshine Sound (a NYC studio where DJ’s could bring their reel to reel tapes and have acetate copies cut one at a time), so that he could play these tracks at clubs. Greg Carmichael gave him his first mixing job after hearing some of his Sunshine Acetate mixes and these first two official mixes made him famous: ‘Dance and Shake Your Tambourine‘ by ‘The Universal Robot Band‘ and the classic ‘I’m Caught Up” by Inner Life. However some of his early mixes and edits, even those officially released, were and remain uncredited and so might not appear in his discography! John has worked for numerous acts and has been involved in the creation of over 500 songs – both on his own and as part of John Morales & Sergio Munzibai (M & M Productions). John Morales can lay claim to being one of the most important figures in the creation of the extended mix, remix and re-edit concept.
Marvin Gaye – Heavy Love Affair (John Morales Edit)
Teena Marie – I Need Your Lovin Live Rare Long M+M Long Beach 1981
Inner Life -Aint No Mountain – Breakdown Mix
- SYDNEY SOUL PATROL: BLOCK PARTY (Sun 4th Dec) feat; Soul of Sydney DJ’s + Gian Aripino, Tom Tutton (Tan Crackers Soul Club) Phil Toke, Eadie Ramia & Michael Zac (Our House DJ’s) MK1 (Sounds of the Zulu Nation) Ben Peterson (Tone) (soulofsydney.org)
- NYC Disco legend John Morales, Sunday Afternoon DJ Set, Supported by Phil Toke, Gian Arpino, Alex Dimitriadis & Soul of Sydney DJ’s ( April 1st) (soulofsydney.org)
- NYC Disco legend John Morales, Sunday Afternoon DJ Set, Supported by Phil Toke, Gian Arpino, Alex Dimitriadis & Soul of Sydney DJ’s ( April 1st) (sydneyunderground.org)
- Our House Sydney Presents: New York Disco Legend John Morales (NYC) (ourhousesydney.com)
- Classic Nyc Disco & House Mix: John Morales (the M & M Mixes) (sydneyunderground.org)
- SOUL, DISCO, FUNK: Marvin Gaye : Re-Edits, Remixes & Remakes: Feat. John Morales, Danny Krivit ,6th Borough Project, Sly and Robbie, Gil Scott Heron (soulofsydney.org)
- DISCO EDIT: Ronnie Dyson – All Over Your Face (John Morales After-Session M & M Mix) (soulofsydney.org)
- Marvin Gaye – The Rare John Morales Mixes (Your The Man Whats Going On, I Want You, Love Party, Heavy Love Affair, Funk Me) (soulofsydney.org)
- John Morales Classic Disco House Mixtape (soulofsydney.org)
- Seminal NYC DISCO, Early House: The Boss ! (soulofsydney.org)
- Our House Presents: New York Disco Legend John Morales in Sydney (ourhousesydney.wordpress.com)