Kenny Dope in control for this classic Roller Boogie 80’s mix.
Category Archives: SYDNEY SOUL FUNK
DJ MK-1 – A Journey Through Hip Hop
He holds court as one of Sydney’s most authentic, hardworking, innovative and historic radio / club / tour DJ’s, with a grind that is almost impossible to keep up with. In between churning out ground-breaking mixtapes, to touring the country as support DJ for Melbourne hip hop act L-FRESH The Lion, to hosting his famed hip hop radio show ‘The Sounds of the Zulu Nation’ on Bondi Beach Radio , to spinning live just about everywhere real music is required to be played and heard…. DJ MK-1 doesn’t miss a beat!
More than just a DJ, MK-1 aka John Khilla, is revered for his in-depth music knowledge, passion and historic rhetoric on the art of Hip Hop and its culture. He wears his allegiance to the internationally renowned Zulu Nation hip hop movement (founded by legendary Afrika Bambatta) like a badge of honour and lives his life in accordance to…
View original post 1,544 more words
PODCAST #192: Phil Toke on Departure Lounge Radio (2ser) feat. Elchino – Feb 22 2014 | Jazz, Funk, Soul, Disco
EVENT: Not The Average Hip Hop Wednesdays @ Hermann’s Bar (Syd Uni)
Not The Average returns to their new venue, Hermann’s Bar (SYD Uni), for more of their dope, fun filled, Hip Hop inspired concept nights!!!
Every Wednesday, it’s time to chill out & help yourself get over Hump Day with the NTA crew, as we hit you off with some of Sydney’s finest DJ’s, live graffiti art, and hook up some of your favorite video games on the BIG SCREEN!!!
Video games on offer include NBA Jam, Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs Tekken, Mortal Kombat, 3on3 NHL Arcade & more
+ DJ’s RAINE SUPREME & Dj-Ad Verse
Hosted by Ran-Dee & Spook
CHEAP DRINK SPECIALS
TONS OF PRIZES TO BE WON
DISCO legend Giorgio Moroder heading to Sydney for VIVID | Soul of Sydney
We are very pleased about this news! Disco don Giorgio Moroder is heading to Sydney for vivid for a rare Q & A and party, check out the info here.
The Music of Giorgio Moroder
Sydney Opera House
Giorgio Moroder Studio Party
Sydney Opera House
Check out the DJ set he was part of at Deep Space last year in NYC.
NEW MUSIC: P.R – Next Destination (Remix) feat. Awon | Hip Hop, Jazz, Soul, Latin
Local beat-making don P.R is back again with this dope cut, this cats blazed up beats are on heavy rotation at Soul of Sydney.
Check out his latest gem ‘Moment In Time’
“We are all destined to reach our next destination someday. Life on earth is a gift, it is a virtue to do good works, live, and love because we never know when our day is near. Be mindful of the power of our Creator, and be humbled by the experience of life.”
The original track is featured on “Moment In Time”:
Rename King St NYC to Larry Levan Way ! Sign The Petition
As the legendary DJ of the Paradise Garage, Larry Levan’s musical journeys resulted in a very strong following. As one of the first DJs to perform worldwide as well as one of the first DJs to develop and own his own record label, Larry Levan was a true pioneer in the dance music industry. It was Levan’s overwhelming message through his music that became the eventual cusp of breaking down barriers which were evident. Levan’s remix and production work for some of the most revered artists and producers such as Patti Austin, Aretha Franklin, Grace Jones, Chaka Khan, Smokey Robinson, Nile Rodgers, Skyy, Instant Funk, Loleatta Holloway, and Jocelyn Brown continue to be treasured and revered today by DJs all over the world. And it is because of his legacy that this petition has been formed requesting designation of the section of King Street between Varick and Greenwich Streets to be renamed in the memory of Larry Levan as Larry Levan Way.
SYDNEY FUNK SOUL: DOJO CUTS Easy To Come Home on MTV! (Record Kicks)
Absolutely LOVIN’ this new cut from Sydney’s own DOJO CUTS featuring Roxie Ray on Vocals, cant wait to check out the rest of the album. We also pats on the back to them for get such good local music on rotation at MTV and getting some serious air play on Australian Air-waves too.
Links to download it together with the full album “Take from me” and many more gems like this from DOJO + RECORD KICKS check out the links below to stay updated because they are supporting some seriously dope local bands like DOJO cuts!
WHAT PEOPLE WHO KNOW SAID!
“Funky and sultry in equal measures, this is a one fabulous album!” Craig Charles (The Craig Charles Funk&Soul Show – BBC6)
“The album has what every great soul record should have and more. Great Feeling, Great Grooves, and Lots and Lots Of Soul” Neal Sugarman (Daptone Records | The Dap-Kings)
“Amazing authentic Funk from Sydney, with the unique and instantly recognizable vocals of Roxie Ray” Dj Snowboy (Blues&Soul Magazine)
SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC ! CHECK OUT MORE FROM DOJO CUTS & RECORD KICKS HERE!
- New album out NOW on http://www.recordkicks.com
- iTunes: http://www.itunes.com/dojocuts
- CD and LIMITED EDITION LP http://recordkicks.bandcamp.com/album/take-from-me
SOUL FUNK DISCO MIXTAPE: Never Mind The Balearics Sunset Mix BY INNERWEST SOUL
Our friends at Never Mind The Balearics! are kindly offering Our House Sydney and Soul Of Sydney members a special $10 discount for their all-day party on April 28th at The Island.
If you’ve not been to The Island before, it’s Sydney’s only floating beach club on the harbour, and you get free water taxi transfers there and back included in the ticket price. The Island’s location is decided on the day, but it’s always somewhere in the harbour bordered by bushland with epic views of the City.
There’s a full Funktion One sound system and a guaranteed day of sunshine tunes across the whole spectrum of reggae, soul, funk, balearic, boogie and disco with a bit of house for good measure. It runs from 2pm through the sunset and on til 10pm.
Check out the FB invite for more details and pics from the previous 2 events –> https://www.facebook.com/events/180870942031730/
- Never Mind The Balearics! Numero Dos (Sat 18th Feb), Secret Sydney Harbour Location Feat. Will Price, Pete Dot, InnerWestSoul, Dicky Trisco (Disco Deviance), Rocco Raimundo! (soulofsydney.org)
- Soul of Sydney Podcast #23 Australia Day Block Party WARM UP Mixtape by Juzzlikedat (latin funk, disco, hip hop dub, reggae, soul) (soulofsydney.org)
- DEEP SOULFUL HOUSE CLASSIC: Timmy Regisford feat Lynn Lockamy – At the club [TRIBE RECORDS ORIGINAL) (sydneyunderground.org)
- John Morales Classic Disco House Mixtape (soulofsydney.org)
- MIXTAPE: Our House Presents: Phil Hudson Live @ Spirit of House Block Party In the Carpark! – Sun Mar 18 (Deep House, Disco, Gospel) (soulofsydney.org)
- Soul of Sydney: Free Australia Day Soul Funk Hip Hop & Disco Block Party Picnic (thursday 26th Jan) (family Friendly, Pet Friendly, Sydney Festival) (soulofsydney.org)
- DEEP SOULFUL HOUSE SYDNEY: Timmy Regisford feat. Lynn Lockamy – At The Club (Da Capo’s Afro Mix) (sydneyunderground.org)
- ERYKAH BADU SYDNEY CONCERT AFTER PARTY: DJ Lo Down Loretta Brown aka Erykah Badu, SUN 19TH JAN (NEO SOUL, FUNK, HIP HOP, DISCO) (soulofsydney.org)
- NY DISCO: The Fantastic Aleems – Hooked On Your Love (John Morales Mix) (soulofsydney.org)
- SOUL, FUNK VINYL: TAN CRACKERS SOUL CLUB feat. Katalyst + Boogie Monster live @ Tan Crackers SOUL Club (soulofsydney.org)