This was such an enjoyable set from NYD, Sydney underground legend DJ SIMON CALDWELL working his magic throwing down the early house disco and garage vibes at 11pm in our main room on NYD 2015.
Tonight we dance, in memory of one of the godfathers of house music who sadly passed way last week. Goodgod is the space where you will find us on the floor for a night of garage, chicago house and beyond with Sydney’s undergroudn house masters:
Simon Caldwell (Mad Racket), Magda Bytnerowicz (4our), Matt Vaughan (Loose Ends), Long John Saliva & Love’s Disciple (Paradise Lost) & Pelvis
Sydney underground don & Soul of Sydney favorite DJ Simon Caldwell playing live at Boiler Room balcony jam a few weeks back, warming it for Chicago Derrick Carter.
PICNIC PRESENTS ONE NIGHT STAND FEAT. CANYONS
SATURDAY 14TH JULY
BYO WAREHOUSE LOCATION TBA
ADDRESS RELEASED THROUGH PICNICSTUFF.COM.AU
TICKETS $20 PRESALE THROUGH RESIDENT ADVISOR
Well we invited Simon Caldwell back for a second appearance at One Night Stand because he was so bloody exceptional the first time around, and we couldn’t resist doing the very same with Canyons after they utterly blew our minds at the warehouse last year. Quite seriously, it was one of the most amazing things we’ve ever witnessed.
In the time since then, the lads have dropped their stunning debut album, ‘Keep Your Dreams’, which the world received with open arms. They performed as a killer live act for the first time too, as if their musical credibility wasn’t high enough already. But although they’ve taken the live show on tour and delighted thousands (perhaps millions, or even billions!), back at the warehouse they’ll be doing what they’ve been doing so bloody well for years: exposing us to some ridiculous, impossible, magnificent records. They’re a truly unique force behind the decks and we’re pretty stoked to be having them back for an ALL NIGHT WOODSTOCK JAM.
Yes, the theme for this one is Woodstock. Come be carefree love-loving hippies with us and psych out to some mind melting music. We’re all one big happy dirty smokey family – minus the mud!
So this is how it happens: Canyons play from the moment the gates open (10pm) until the very end (??am) at a wonderful warehouse location which will be disclosed close to the party. It’s BYO, and you can snap up cheap presale tickets from Resident Advisor:
Adonis – We’re Rockin Down The House
Another classic 303 cut by Adonis on Trax Records.
Whenever I hear this I always think back to the times I heard Simon Caldwell drop this one at Mad Racket on the wooden dancefloor at Marrckville Bowling Club Sydney, it has been a while since I been to one of their parties but they always deliverd with the music, one of the few parties still flying the flag for chicago & deep house sounds in Sydney.
Rockin’ Down The House (Toby Tobias & Hardway Bros Re-edit)
I also been hearing this re-edit around in mixes and on dancefloors a bit, remixed as part of the Trax Re-edited selection featuring edits by Greg Wilson, Leftside Wobble, Leo Zero, JD Twitch, Andy Blake, Swag, Ray Mang, Justin Harris, Neville Watson and more
Released by: Harmless
Release date: Feb 7, 2011
- CHICAGO HOUSE CLASSIC: Adonis – No Way Back (1986) TRAX RECORDS (sydneyunderground.org)
- ACID HOUSE CLASSIC: Maurice Joshua – This is Acid (TRAX) (sydneyunderground.org)
- CLASSIC HOUSE TRIBUTE MIX: RIP Darryl Pandy & Kenny Hawkes: A Tribute Mix for NOICE! (sydneyunderground.org)
- CHICAGO HOUSE: Frankie Knuckles – Your Love (Trax Records, 1987) (sydneyunderground.org)
- Adonis Organic Peel Treatment Review (thathazeleyes.wordpress.com)
- Moodymann/Kenny Dixon Jr live at Mad Racket Sydney Festival 2008 playing The Doors – Riders on the Storm (sydneyunderground.org)
- Sydney weather! Take your umbrella (stevemarshallphotographer.wordpress.com)
- Home – Sydney, Australia (travelpod.com)
- Guess Who’s Back? (choruscallaustralia.wordpress.com)
‘More Bounce To The Ounce’
Part two of Sydney only 80’s Electro Funk & Rap Night is back THIS Friday 16th @ 202 Broadway
Kicking off nice and early at 9pm with an extend FUNK & BOOGIE set by local BBOY DJ SAGE ONE who featured in the first podcast
Also the one & only DJ Hysteric — the perpetrator behind Melbourne’s legendary System electro parties up from Burn City to rock the decks with the Cold Crush Mob — that’s RETALI8, OSC-001 & Simon Caldwell, along with special guest boogie man Sage One: bboys b-ware!
You know the drill, old school vinyl mixing, dope cuts and ya’ll party freaks ripping up the dancefloor. 202 have a new sound system in too, it is fat and YOU KNOW Cold Crush gonna be rocking those bass-bins.
#1 Simon Caldwell Live @ Cold Crush Dec 4 2009
- Hashim – Al-Naafiysh (The Soul)
- Egyptian Lover – Freak-A-Holic
- Bumper – Tuff Groove
- R-Damski – Project Pt. 1
- Def Cut – I Pay Back
- Mobile Space Unit – Eruption
- The Artificial Arm – Welcome To The Planet Funk
- Suat G – B-Boy Bonus Beats
- Sven Vath – Schubduse (Anthony Rother Remix)
- Resident Alien – Radio Killer
- DMX Krew – Bass Mission
- A1 People – Do It
- Thomas Schumacher – When I Rock (Anthony Rother Remix)
- Subway – Testing (Dexter Remix)
- Chromatix – Cranioplasmatron
- The Freeek – Martian Leaders O.E.
- DJ Godfather – Aliens Got The 808
- Egyptian Lover – Egypt, Egypt
- Mental Blox – Bass Synthesiser
- Uprock – Klockwerk Oranj
- Biochip C – Steal It And Deal It (DMX Krew Edit)
- Anthony Rother – Compression
- Third Electric + Artificial Material – High Tension Wires
- The Artificial Arm – You’ve Been Messing With My Mind
- Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Force – Planet Rock
Download @ Cold Crush
With this set I was trying to play a whole bunch of my favourite electro tunes, mainly focusing on newer tracks with a bit of an old school vibe, and trying to tie them in with a few classic oldies. It was mixed with the dancefloor in front of me, so I tried to keep it pretty beat-based, but managed to get some spacey vibes in there too. I love how this kind of music makes really abstract things funky. It’s like the machines are making the music themselves if the sounds and the feel all click together; it’s organic and artificial at the same time. Unfortunately I don’t get to play these tunes very much any more (the complete rape of the word ‘electro’ hasn’t helped) so it was fun to drop them at Cold Crush. Hopefully you enjoy the mix and can have a little body-pop to it.
— Simon Caldwell
Cold Crushin’ Mixes is back with a slamming electro mix from Melbourne mix master and certified wax addict Hysteric, who has done some hardcore crate digging to pull some very obscure tracks for us! But don’t let the fact that you have probably never heard of most of the tracks put you off — as unknown as many of the tracks might be to all but the most knowledgeable of electro fans, our homeboy Hysteric has put together an absolute banger of a mix, covering a range of styles from bboy electro funk and electro rap, to synth pop, minimal electro, new wave and some very heavy hitting sludge electro tracks from The Hague. Ya’ll should know what to expect by now from Cold Crushin’ Mixes, so needless to say, shit is off the chain!
Picnic Social & Dan De Caires Presents:
Horse Meat Disco
Sun 14th March
12pm – 12am @ 202 Broadway
- Greg Wilson Essential Mix (Download)
- Luke Howard Falling In Love with Love (Download)
- Horse Meat Disco (Download)