buy tix here
Feat. The Robert Glasper Experiment, Jose James & Taylor Mcferrin
Sun 10th June (Queens Bday Weekend) Oxford Art Factory, Sydney
The Robert Glasper Experiment makes its debut appearance in Australia off the back of their incredible new album Black Radio, which is out now on Blue Note (and debuted at #1 on the Australian iTunes Jazz Charts). Featuring a host of incredible guest vocalists and personnel, Black Radio is a concept that comes from Yassin Bey aka Mos Def (who contributes the albums title track) who wonders why, if the Black Box is the only thing that survives a plane crash, do they not make the whole plane out of its material? Glasper himself is in a class of his own behind the keys and when joined by vocalists like Erykah Badu and Bilal as well as newcomers King and Chrisette Michelle, shines even brighter (if thats possible). Nothing is predictable about a Robert Glasper Experiment performance and Australian audiences are about to get their very first taste. Watch a recent performance on David Letterman here.
Jose James is equally hard to pinpoint, having released songs from the classic American songbook for Verve as well as fully-blown beat collaborations with Flying Lotus, Moodyman and Basement Jaxx. His debut album The Dreamer was a throwback to the classic-cool-quintet albums like Kind Of Blue and was followed quickly by Black Magic (both on Gilles Petersons Brownswood label), which featured the aforementioned heavyweight collabs, leaning more on a Marvin Gaye/Leon Ware I Want You modus operandi. His new album No Beginning, No End will be available in 2012 and promises his heaviest lineup of players yet (Richard Spaven, Pino Palladino, anyone?). Enjoy a taste of the first single Trouble here.
Taylor Mcferrin returns to Australia after appearing recently with Shabazz Palaces in select shows around Oz. The one-man band (and son of Bobby) combines an incredible beatbox vocal ability, range, production prowess and gift for electronics the apple does not fall far from the tree. Signed to Brainfeeder, Mcferrins debut album is in the works. On his own he is mind-blowing, when he collaborates with his two fellow artists he truly embodies the spirit of Jazz: to improvise, innovate and entertain. Watch and learn.
Niche Productions could not be more proud to bring Sydney this ridiculously well-matched triple bill. A culmination of all of our influences on stage for one night only, Future Now is three artists who have consistently created some of the best moments of their genre and who have not even reached their peak. Join us for something truly special this June.
Niche Productions presents Future Now featuring Robert Glasper Experiment, Jose James & Taylor Mcferrin + special guests DJs Cian (Conch Records – NZ) & Huwston
- VIDEO: Bilal Speaks About Robert Glasper + Sydney Gig Info (Sun June 10) (soulofsydney.org)
- Robert Glasper Experiment, Barbican Hall – review (thisislondon.co.uk)
- Just announced: Robert Glasper to play Village Underground tonight (thisislondon.co.uk)
- Robert Glasper at the New Parish: Yes, It’s Jazz (eastbayexpress.com)
- Robert Glasper Experiment’s soul/jazz/hip-hop cover of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (boingboing.net)
- Artist Watch: Robert Glasper Experiment (bylaurencarter.com)
- Glasper Redux (cweeds.wordpress.com)
- Glasper Arrogance (cweeds.wordpress.com)
- iTunes Tuesday: Robert Glasper Experiment (thedailywifesuite.wordpress.com)
- [PHOTO GALLERY] Everybody Loved (Or At The Least, Endured) The Sunshine Saturday at Atlanta Jazz Festival (v103.radio.com)
- The Robert Glasper Experiment Comes to Chicago (ladyreesespeaks.wordpress.com)