Is The Narcicyst ‘Rap’s Khalil Gibran’ ?
Well. I’m not too sure about that as I essentially only got listening to Iraqi/Canadian politically aware MC, Poet & Author “The Narcicyst’ about a week ago.
What I can tell you nonetheless is that I’m seriously impressed by what the man has to offer to Hip Hop; Well-constructed rhymes, political messages and even an odd reference to my favorite Lebanese poet Khalil Gibran. He may not be circulating masterworks comparable to ‘The Prophet” as yet, but he is one of the few MC’s dropping Real-world knowledge & consciousness if you ask me. The more I listen to the more it is evident the man was first and foremost a poet/writer and literature enthusiast way before he picked up a microphone.
It would be great to see what he has to say this Wednesday in his element in a spoken word setting at Tonic this week.
Check out P.H.A.T.W.A ( not sure who put the clip together either but that pretty bloody crafty too)
Up coming shows include;
One Mic @ Tonic (Wed 11th May)
“ONE MIC” is Tonic’s First Spoken Word night featuring some of Sydney’s established and emerging performance poets, bringing to life words that are essential to be digested, words that are essential to be heard, words that dispense a sense of light love and laughter, and words that carry responsibility.
Click for more info on Facebook
Thanks to Information and Cultural Exchange Program (ICE), we have the amazing opportunity to host a night featuring internationally acclaimed Iraqi/Canadian hip hop lyricist, journalist and academic THE NARCICYST as the headliner for ‘ONE MIC’!
Having just finished the Murs and R.A The Rugged Man Australian Tour, he has made appearances on the influential TEDx conference, opened for high profile acts such as Public Enemy,Talib Kweli, Madlib, Dead Prez, Brother Ali, and Non Phixon to name a few.
His poetry addresses the ideological complexities of power and politics, deconstructing, critiquing, questioning and celebrating humanity in one breath.
+ Local Poets on the night include;
- MILES MERRILL: Miles Merrill is the creative director of the literary arts organisation, Word Travels. He is also a writer, performer, facilitator and event co-ordinater who combines poetry with theatre, experimental audio, hip-hop beats, stand-up and occasionally political confrontation.
- BRAVO CHILD – Sydney’s most energetic, thoughtful, humourous and witty performance artists, writer and currently a documentarist. Bravo Child is like no other. He is synonymous in the Spoken Word Poetry movement combining performance theatre, song and dance to make you appreciate life just a tiny bit better.
- FARID FARID – Egyptian/Australian, Farid Farid is STRONG in his delivery and conviction. His days are filled with workshops aiming to improve and inspire the young school kids from the western suburbs through music and laughter.
- NEW AGE POET – New Age Poet has published a book titled ‘Emotions of A NewAge Poet’ which was written over a 9 year span, and is one of Sydney’s exciting emerging poets.
- 2EYEC – a poet with a difference, in your face, raw and never silent.
- CHUX MONTANO – working two jobs and a Rapper by night (Sydney’s emerging poet and hip hop recording artist).
- Let These Be Your Desires by Khalil Gibran (lettersfromthetop.wordpress.com)
- About Bsharri and Beyond (bsharriandbeyond.wordpress.com)