You so cant beat these SOUL greats! It has been a while since we heard any Bill Withers, but we are totally feeling this mans music all over again. What a master song-writer and story-teller.
This is a very enjoyable listen, the mighty Robert Glasper Experiment paying homage to the legendary Roy Ayers back in France 2010.
Full show is approx 60 mins and features;
Robert Glasper: keyboards
Derrick Hodge: bass
Casey Benjamin: saxophone
Chris Dave: drums
Stefon Harris: vibraphone
Pete Rock: turntables and mc
Jazz a la Villette
September 11 2010
Catch the legendary ROY AYERS doing his thing LIVE at the Jam Gallery (Oxford St Bondi Junction) SYDNEY later this month in a rare intimate club show along with Sydney Funk outfit Gang of Brothers and Soul of Sydney DJ’s & Friends warming things.
- Debbie Rowe To Testify — Michael Jackson Abused Propofol 12 Years Before Death (tmz.com)
- Happy Birthday Michael Jackson: Limited Edition Hand Painted tribute shirt by Billy Kid & Sydney Street Art Project | Funk, Soul, Disco, Deep House Sydney (soulofsydney.org)
- Lost tapes of Michael Jackson’s Moscow show found (rbth.ru)
- Munich – Munich, Germany (travelpod.com)
- Train ride to Prague – Munich, Germany (travelpod.com)
- Jacksons – AEG trial DAYS 53-55. MEGLEN’S LIES AND HIS JAPANESE FIASCO (vindicatemj.wordpress.com)
- Promoter plotted out worldwide tour for Jackson (kansascity.com)
- Mary’s Square, Munich, Germany (demeterslog.wordpress.com)
- Throwback Thursday: Michael Jackson! (987ampradio.cbslocal.com)
- Germany (theworldremembers.wordpress.com)
Happy Birthday Carlos Santana. (born July 20, 1947).
Such a talented man that has blessed us with a life time of amazing music, Check out this Full Concert:
- Neymar: Messi and I can make history together (aprokotv.wordpress.com)
- Royals waste Chen’s outing in 3-0 loss to Indians (sacbee.com)
- THIS DAY IN MUSIC JULY 20th (funkyvinylart.wordpress.com)
- Remembering Tito Puente, 13 years after his death (nbclatino.com)
- Tito Puente Jr. To Pay Tribute to His Father in the Dominican Republic (hispanicallyspeakingnews.com)
- Wisconsin bands can fucking play some music (thebrokedispatch.com)
Live in Los Angeles 2002
03. This Is DJ Disk
04. Dolphin Dance
05. Virtual Hornets
06. The Essence
08. Tony Williams
Herbie Hancock: Piano, Keyboards
Matthew Garrison: Bass
Terri Lyne Carrington: Drums, Vocals
Darrell Diaz: Keyboards, Vocals
DJ Disk: Scratches [Turntable]
Wallace Roney: Trumpet
- Herbie Hancock (thedailyjorge.wordpress.com)
Bill Withers is one THE story tellers, check this short BBC live concert originally broadcast from 1973.
An absolutely beautiful
Both audio and video are as broadcast by the BBC.
00:00:00:00 Ain`t No Sunshine
00:03:18:11 Lonely Town, Lonely Street
00:09:14:16 Grandma`s Hands
00:11:40:18 Use Me
00:16:01:00 Let Me In Your Life
00:20:15:18 Lean On Me
buy tix here
Feat. The Robert Glasper Experiment, Jose James & Taylor Mcferrin
Sun 10th June (Queens Bday Weekend) Oxford Art Factory, Sydney
The Robert Glasper Experiment makes its debut appearance in Australia off the back of their incredible new album Black Radio, which is out now on Blue Note (and debuted at #1 on the Australian iTunes Jazz Charts). Featuring a host of incredible guest vocalists and personnel, Black Radio is a concept that comes from Yassin Bey aka Mos Def (who contributes the albums title track) who wonders why, if the Black Box is the only thing that survives a plane crash, do they not make the whole plane out of its material? Glasper himself is in a class of his own behind the keys and when joined by vocalists like Erykah Badu and Bilal as well as newcomers King and Chrisette Michelle, shines even brighter (if thats possible). Nothing is predictable about a Robert Glasper Experiment performance and Australian audiences are about to get their very first taste. Watch a recent performance on David Letterman here.
Jose James is equally hard to pinpoint, having released songs from the classic American songbook for Verve as well as fully-blown beat collaborations with Flying Lotus, Moodyman and Basement Jaxx. His debut album The Dreamer was a throwback to the classic-cool-quintet albums like Kind Of Blue and was followed quickly by Black Magic (both on Gilles Petersons Brownswood label), which featured the aforementioned heavyweight collabs, leaning more on a Marvin Gaye/Leon Ware I Want You modus operandi. His new album No Beginning, No End will be available in 2012 and promises his heaviest lineup of players yet (Richard Spaven, Pino Palladino, anyone?). Enjoy a taste of the first single Trouble here.
Taylor Mcferrin returns to Australia after appearing recently with Shabazz Palaces in select shows around Oz. The one-man band (and son of Bobby) combines an incredible beatbox vocal ability, range, production prowess and gift for electronics the apple does not fall far from the tree. Signed to Brainfeeder, Mcferrins debut album is in the works. On his own he is mind-blowing, when he collaborates with his two fellow artists he truly embodies the spirit of Jazz: to improvise, innovate and entertain. Watch and learn.
Niche Productions could not be more proud to bring Sydney this ridiculously well-matched triple bill. A culmination of all of our influences on stage for one night only, Future Now is three artists who have consistently created some of the best moments of their genre and who have not even reached their peak. Join us for something truly special this June.
Niche Productions presents Future Now featuring Robert Glasper Experiment, Jose James & Taylor Mcferrin + special guests DJs Cian (Conch Records – NZ) & Huwston
- VIDEO: Bilal Speaks About Robert Glasper + Sydney Gig Info (Sun June 10) (soulofsydney.org)
- Robert Glasper Experiment, Barbican Hall – review (thisislondon.co.uk)
- Just announced: Robert Glasper to play Village Underground tonight (thisislondon.co.uk)
- Robert Glasper at the New Parish: Yes, It’s Jazz (eastbayexpress.com)
- Robert Glasper Experiment’s soul/jazz/hip-hop cover of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” (boingboing.net)
- Artist Watch: Robert Glasper Experiment (bylaurencarter.com)
- Glasper Redux (cweeds.wordpress.com)
- Glasper Arrogance (cweeds.wordpress.com)
- iTunes Tuesday: Robert Glasper Experiment (thedailywifesuite.wordpress.com)
- [PHOTO GALLERY] Everybody Loved (Or At The Least, Endured) The Sunshine Saturday at Atlanta Jazz Festival (v103.radio.com)
- The Robert Glasper Experiment Comes to Chicago (ladyreesespeaks.wordpress.com)