Soul Of Sydney Podcast #11
‘Cumbiambero Loco’ Part 2 –
Mixed By: JackPosada (Myspace, Soundcloud)
This is the second installment of cumbiambero loco, a special ‘CUMBIA’ mixtape carefully selected just in time for that summer time in Sydney.
CUMBIA que delicia, que viva diciembre y feliz navidad
Our podcast this week is a little different to the standard ‘Funk’ we been featuring, it is an unexpected & enjoyable voyage into Caribbean & Afro-Latin beats.
This week we present a 40 min mix of traditional Colombian rebellion music called ‘Cumbia’.
Style: Afro Latin, Cumbia & Caribbean Percussion
- Andres Landero – Virgen de la candelaria
- Los Gaiteros de San Jacinto – Manuelito barrios
- Calixto Ochoa – Charanga campesina
- Los Cumbiamberos – Santo domingo
- Afrosound – La sampuesana
- Pacho Galan – Cumbia alegre
- Sonoritmos – Pola bette
- Climaco Sarmiento y su Orquesta – Maquina landera
- Pacho Galan – Cumbia que me alegras
- Pacho Glan – La mazamorrera
- Los Golden Boys – La negra celina
- Calixto Ochoa – Los sabanales
- La Sonora Cordobesa – El pajaro picon
- Pedro Laza y sus Pelayeros – La pringamoza
The word ‘Cumbia’ came from the African word “Cumbé”, or party. It’s known as the queen of African rhythms & It has 3 cultural influences (African, Andean & Spanish).
The music originated around the 1820’s during Colombia’s struggle for independence as an expression of national resistance against Spain.
Both the African & Andean influences are obvious in ‘Cumbia’, the rhythms adopted from African slaves used by the Spanish & Andean flutes & poetry make up the core elements of the music .
Originally only performed with drums & claves it has since evolved to include; flutes, guitars, accordion, horns, brass & traditional drums & percussion.
Today it is very popular in Latin America & has even evolved into new forms mixed with Ska, Reggae, Hip Hop & Drum N Bass known as ‘Cumbia digital’ These elements & influences can be found in the music of ; Quanic, Ozomatli, DJ Spinna, Los Lobos & Los Kumbia Kings.
Even in Australia it will be featured at the 2010 Big Day Out Lilly Pad.
For a good introduction to ‘Cumbia’, check out: Cumbia Cumbia , Vol. 1 & 2 released by World Circuit Records (1983, 1989).
Connect With Soul Of Sydney
- Check out the Web Site
- Join the Facebook Fan Page
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Check Out Our Music on Last.FM
- Listen to our Mixtapes on Sound Cloud
- Subscribe with I-tunes