For everyone who has been getting in touch and who were heading to Sydney from out of town, this is definitely our recommendation for the weekend.
A hosted of local musicians, DJ’S and crate diggers friends of ours have all come together to play some cuts and put on a bit of a party this Saturday at VIC ON THE PARK HOTEL CARPARK. (2 Addison rd Enmore)
It is a massive line up and shaping to be a very special day of music, particular if you are into Soul and Funk based sounds.
Free Party – Kid Friendly Vibes – Open Air throw down from 12pm till 7pm – Live Music + DJ’s
Sydney line up includes;
THANDI PHOENIX (LIVE)
MK1 FEAT. MIRRAH + L-FRESH THE LION
YUM YUM (LIVE)
THE GROOVE DEALERS (ADVERSE + MAKOTO)
SOUL OF SYDNEY DJ’S & friends.
Afternoon Feel-Good Funk, Soul, Disco, Boogie & Old School Party Jams, Bboy Breaks & Beyond
Live Sydney Street Art Project Showcase feat. Billy Kid + friends.
Set Times /
1-3 pm – El Chino
3-4 pm – Paris Groovescooter
4-5 pm – Raine Supreme
5-6 pm – Meem
6-7 pm – Phil Toke
7-Close – The Groove Dealers (live) feat. DJ’s Cman, Adverse, Makoto, Caratgold & Juzzlikedat (back to back on 4 turntables)
Presale Tix only $10 pre-sale or available on the door.
SOUL OF SYDNEY SECRET NYD JAM – JAN 1 2013
Soul of Sydney officially celebrating the return to warmer weather with the second October throwdown THIS SUNDAY.
2SER FUNK FUNDRAISER on Sunday OCT 26 (Get discount Tix HERE) special to help raise some money for Sydney much loved local radio station 2ser (who just happen to be turning 35 this year)
★ SOUL OF SYDNEY FUNK FUNDRAISER- 2SER 35TH BIRTHDAY SPECIAL | SUNDAY OCT 26 – 1pm
at a secret indoor / outdoor licensed funk oasis ( 5 mins from CBD)
★★ AFTERNOON FEEL-GOOD FUNK, SOUL, DISCO, Bboy Breaks + OLD SCHOOL PARTY VIBES & BEYOND ★★
★★ LIMITED CAPACITY FUNDRAISER JAM IN A INDOOR/OUTDOOR PARTY SPACE JUST IN TIME FOR SUMMER | PUT ON BY SYDNEY’S SOUL FUNK FAMILY STRICTLY FOR THE LOVE ★
Tix / Donation:
$5 – (Sold Out)
$10- Pre-sale (on sale now)
ON SALE HERE
Join FB Event /
★Music by /
2SER All-Stars + Soul of Sydney DJ’s & Friends, including;
★ THE GROOVE DEALERS (Live 4 turntable take-over)
DJ Adverse | C Man | Juzzlikedat | Caratgold & Makoto (Back to Back on 4 turntables)
★ Raine Supreme (Hardcore Classics Radio – 2ser)
★ Meem (Back to Funk Radio – 2ser)
★ El Chino (Departure Lounge – 2ser)
★ Paris Groovescooter (Jumping The Gap – 2ser)
★ Phil Toke (Soul of Sydney, Spirit of House)
★ Soul of Sydney DJ’s & Friends.
Location / NEW Secret Indoor / Outdoor Funk Oasis (5 Mins from CBD)
After an amazing sold out show last year to close out 2ser subscriber drive for 2013 with legendary NYC DJ DP ONE, we are looking to do it all again with the help with some of Sydney’s finest selectors and some very special guests which we will be announcing very soon. We come together a community of music heads to help celebrate one of the local radio stations who has been there to support our scenes from day one.
Listen –> www.soundcloud.com/soulofsydney/
★Tix $10 (Very Limited –>
♫ Mixtapes: Check out podcasts from the DJ’s playing on the day for an idea of the kind of vibes you can expect.
♫ Listen to Soul of Sydney Radio ! –>
★For videos of our block party jams check out videos and info here:
★ABOUT SOUL OF SYDNEY
Created in November 2009, Soul of Sydney is an independent, artist run collective who are bonded by a love of ‘funk’ based music. Our people include DJ’s, Musicians, Producers, Dancers & Designers who have come together to promote and support the music we love in this city, and the street culture around it.
Soul of Sydney Block Party is our monthly Sunday musical afternoon (12-9pm) feast. Focused on a family orientated get together, DJ’s, Record Collectors, B-boys & B-Girls, and musicians come down to share & enjoy some of the music they love in a completely different environment, outside of bars or clubs.
We have an ‘open decks, open mic & open dance floor’ policy just to keep it personal and give everyone a chance to do their thing where locals can come down as our guests outside of a usual club set.
Music styles generally sit at a safe middle ground of Soul, Funk, Disco and a fair bit of Jazz & golden era hip hop stuff too with artists James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, De La Soul, J Dilla, Stevie Wonder, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Larry Levan among the playlist.
★♫ ♩ ▔
100% FUNK EXPRESSION RIGHT THERE AT 2PM ON A RAINY SUNDAY AFTERNOON IN SYDNEY… LOOK OUT FOR US DOING IT ALL AGAIN IN AN INNERCITY WAREHOUSE SPACE IN AUGUST FOR SPIRIT OF HOUSE!
AN AFTERNOON TRIBUTE TO 30+ YEARS OF HOUSE MUSIC AND ITS DISCO-FUNK ROOTS.
PAYING TRIBUTE TO FORE-FATHERS OF THE REAL HOUSE SOUND IN PRIVATE INNERCITY WAREHOUSE SPACE
SOUL CHICAGO HOUSE – ACID HOUSE – NYC DISCO – ORIGINAL ELECTRO FUNK & GARAGE
Hosted by PHIL TOKE, MICHAEL ZAC, EADIE RAMIA SOUL OF SYDNEY DJ’S + FRIENDS
EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org FOR DETAILS (VERY VERY LIMITED CAPACITY)
Our House Sydney & Soul Of Sydney will be hosting another ‘SPIRIT OF HOUSE’ Warehouse Jam over the next few weeks where we will be paying special homage to the last 30+ years of House music & its Disco-Funk roots.
We will also pay tribute to the DJ’s & Producers who have helped create and shape House music over the last three decades. Figures such as Frankie Knuckles, Larry Levan, Kerri Chandler, Marshall Jefferson, Ron Trent, Joey Negro, Joe Claussell, Danny Krivit, Kenny Dixon Jr, Theo Parrish, Norman Jay, Lil Louis and Masters At Work.
This is strictly for lovers of House music in Sydney whether it be DEEP & SOULFUL, TECH, AFRO-LATIN, NYC DISCO & GARAGE
LINE UP INCLUDING:
Our House DJ’s + Friends
Michael Zac (Soul Intervention)
Eadie Ramia (Our House)
Phil Toke (Our House)
+ MORE tba
**Please note this event is invite only and limited capacity.. email@example.com for venue and party information.
Visioneers new album “Hipology” is due out soon and to remind you all just how good its going to be, here is something from the Visioneers vaults. If you would like to review the forthcoming album …. find out more here
Since the late 80s Londoner Marc Mac has been converting audiences with his sophisticated take on urban soul. A hybrid concoction of breakbeat, nu-jazz, neo soul, drum and bass, and Hip Hop, its a polished sound plugged directly into the emotional highway of 21st century city living. Working under a variety of guises, his prodigious output includes his work as one half of 4hero, Visioneers, Natures Plan and Nu Era. In the late 90‘s Marc signed to Gilles Peterson’s Talking Loud Records with 4hero. 4hero went on to produce two classic albums with Talkin Loud icluding the award winning “Two Pages” & “Creating Patterns” they then set up their own label where the critically acclaimed “Play With The Changes” was released. Somewhere in this timeline, between producing music for Jill Scott to Roy Ayers, Phonte to ! Terry C! allier, Marc started another project called Visioneers releasing a set of limited 7” singles getting the attention from top eclectic DJ’s including Jazzy Jeff, Kenny Dope, Gilles Peterson & Norman Jay. Visioneers was then picked up by BBE records who released the debut album “Dirty Old Hip Hop”.
While recording this new Visioneers record, Mac began thinking how hip-hop had been a (sometimes invisible) guiding hand in his life. “The music, the fashion and culture. Although producing all kinds of music from jungle to jazz, hip-hop (or at least what is was) has always been a part of what I do in some strange and sometimes very subtle way.” Documenting this influence on Hipology.org, his very own digital scrapbook (that has also spawned the record of the same title), it’s easy to see the depth of Mac’s appreciation of hip-hop. HIPOLOGY; the album includes hand picked guest John Robinson, Notes To Self, TRAC & Baron alongside some featured musicians Luke Parkhouse, Ariya Astrobeat Arkestra & The Support Horns. The result is a real cool, funky eclectic mix of breaks,! beats, soul/jazz and freaky squeaks a great follow up ! to the debut album.
“A collage or montage of elements, events, music and fashion that make up an individuals personal interpretation of Hip Hop culture.”
“They have a right to speak on it the way they see it coming up. Hip-hop is the voice of this generation. Even if you didn’t grow up in the Bronx in the ’70s, hip-hop is there for you.”
Looking at your own reflection you may wonder… who are you?; Adidas sneakers, baseball caps, Timberland boots, Cazal style glasses, Varsity jackets, Nike tees & hoodies and then take a look through your DVD shelf, books or music collection… Coltrane, James Brown, Mary J Blige and even a Led Zeplin album. why?… well for me it all stems from growing up listening to hip-hop; that’s what we call Hipology.
maybe you grew up in Tokyo or London and listen to hip-hop or even New York or maybe Paris… everyone’s personal experiences and perception may be different and thats what we call Hipology. When these experiences are shared the picture of hip-hop culture becomes even bigger. Hipology.
While recording a new Visioneers record in 2011-2012 I started thinking about how much Hip Hop has played a under current role through my life. The Music, The Fashion and Culture. Although producing all kinds of music from Jungle to Jazz, Hip Hop (or at least what is was) has always been a part of what I do in some strange and sometimes very subtle way. So this kinda inspired me to start up this Website, it’s just like a little scrap book and a way for me to join some dots up, shout out some greats and try get the story straight. yeah so that’s it.
Funk Box (Jazzy Jeff Vocal) by Marc Mac Presents: Visioneers.
Dropping soon on BBE Records HERE
Soul Of Sydney: ‘FUNK’ music blog, beamin’ out of Bondi Beach, Australia.
Pushing local Funk, Disco, Hip Hop, Soul, House & DNB since 2009.
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/soulofsydney
Last FM: http://www.last.fm/user/SoulOfSydney
- Video: Maceo Parker Live (rare Full Concert) (soulofsydney.org)
- MUSIC: HIPOLOGY IS? – “A montage of elements, events, music and fashion that make up an individuals personal interpretation of Hip Hop culture.” (BBE RECORDS) (soulofsydney.org)
- VIDEO – SOUL FUNK HIP HOP: RARE QUESTLOVE on Michael Jackson (R.I.P) (soulofsydney.org)
- Hologram Tupac TWITTER: “So many digital haters. Only Tron can judge me” (soulofsydney.org)
- Hip Hop Culture 101 – The Golden Era by ReAsOn DiSciPLe (davidicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- Def Wish Cast – Evolution Machine (soulofsydney.org)
- Sex. Prosperity. Haters. Hip Hop: How Lecrae Moore’s New Mix Tape Breathes the Gospel into all of it. (tgcatlanticcanada.com)
- Hip Hop Culture 101 by ReAsOn DiSciPLe (davidicalhiphop.wordpress.com)
- 10 Free MP3 Albums In A Foreign Language [Sound Sunday] (makeuseof.com)
- BBE Records: Keb Darge & Little Edith’s Legendary Wild Rockers 2 (soulofsydney.org)
In what was a pretty special day for us as we teamed up with our good friends at Our House Sydney to bring Sydney its first in a series of “Spirit Of House” Block Parties, where we will be paying special tribute to 30+ years of House music and its Funk & Disco roots in FREE family friendly & PEOPLE FRIENDLY out-door locations including car parks, lane-ways, parks, roof-tops and warehouse spaces around town.
The Venue: As you can probably see in the picture we didn’t end up in the park for House Picnic as we originally intended due to some ominous cloud and some pretty temperamental Sydney weather. We did however set up our Sound in this dope inner-city Car Park location smack bang between a Chinese Temple and 3 buildings.
One for the House faithful for sure! Thank you for the support kids and look out for us doing it all again very very soon! Big luv to everyone who came down and especially the DJ’s who donated their time like true blue champions!
Look out for them playing around town; Phil Toke (Our House Sydney), James Scott (Co-Op), Phil Hudson, Agey, Ronie Farah (Shicago Bar) & Queen Shirene D’silva (Everywhere they play good music !)
The Mix Tape: Our House presents Spirit of House – Part 1 – Phil Hudson Live in the Mix @ the Car Park.
Including; DEEP HOUSE, GOSPEL, & DISCO
Track Listing: (coming soon)
SOUL F SYDNEY BLOCK PARTY is ON THIS SUNDAY 5TH FEB, RAIN HAIL OR SHINE!
WE FINALLY HAVE A BACK UP VENUE for the Block Party just so you can Shake those Cabin Fever blues away & you have a spot to come down and enjoy the same Sunday Afternoon REAL MUSIC VIBES we have been pushing at the Picnics.
We now officially have a BACK UP VENUE who are happy to host us just in the event this monsoonal rain doesn’t end, so it just means all we have to move the picnic under some covers into an inner city FUNK LOUNGE/LOFT SPACE!
Venue Option #1 – Park-side Location in Alexandria with BBQ areas (pending weather) we still need some sunshine for the usual park side parties to go down!
Venue Option #2 – Inner City FUNK LOFT/LOUNGE SPACE: in the vent of rain we have organised a kid friendly lounge/loft space with a stack of light, massive couches and tables just ready for a Sunday afternoon in-door picnic just in case it does keep raining.
We will be updating everyone via SMS as soon as we know how it looks for Sunday, so look out for updates early Sunday morning by around 10 or 11pm.
Info VIA Facebook Event –> HERE
We will be in a park-side location around Alexandria from around 12 pm till late or a back up inner city FUNK LOUNGE ROOM in the event of rain!
STILL OPEN DECKS! Family Friendly, MUSIC HEADS PICNIC!
DJ’s playing an eclectic mix of day time SOUL, FUNK , DISCO, HIP HOP & REAL HOUSE GEMS.
Our House Sydney & Soul of Sydney Present:
SOUL OF SYDNEY: Free Block Party Picnic/BBQ #5
Soul of Sydney & Our House Sydney will be hosting another special family friendly FUNK picnic to celebrate the our SUNDAY in the right kind of fashion..With a stack of good mates, in the great outdoors in the sunshine and with DJ’s playing REAL music in a family friendly atmosphere.
We have a stack of DJ’s on rotation playing a stack of daytime SOUL, FUNK, HIP HOP & HOUSE joints from the likes of James Brown, Jocelyn Brown, Masters At Work, Erykah Badu, De La Soul, Dilla, Larry Levan, Sade, Jill Scott & Frankie Knuckles just to name a few.
Real Music, Real People Enjoying in a Family Friendly outdoor environment!
- Soul of Sydney DJ’s & Friends;
- PHIL TOKE, (Our House Sydney)
- TERRY A
- MICHAEL ZAC (Our House Sydney)
- EADIE RAMIA (Our House Sydney)
- C-MAN & JUZZLIKEDAT (Back of Back)
Open Decks, Open Mic & Open Floor (for all you dancers)
If you are interested in supporting, performing or need to get in contact please shoot us an email on firstname.lastname@example.org as we will be updating venue information very soon.
Peace & Blessings;
Blockparty Picnic Mixtape #3 by DJ Phil Toke (Our House Sydney/Soul of Sydney)
Our main man & resident Blockparty DJ Phil Toke put together this dope mixtape jam packed with some of the daytime FUNK, DISCO & REAL HOUSE jams he has been throwing down at the picnics over the last few months. Expect a stack of similar vibes for Australia Day!
- Intro Barack Obama
- Bill Withers- Lovely Day
- Gwen McCrae- Funky Sensation
- John Davis Monster Orchestra- Ain’t That Enough For You
- James Brown- Funky President
- The Commodores- Brick House
- Average White Band- Pick Up The Pieces
- First Choice- Love Thang
- Angela Winbush- I Love You More
- Convertion- Lets Do It
- Komiko- Feel Alright
- Geraldine Hunt- Cant Fake The Feeling
- Richard T Bear- Sunshine Hotel
- Lenny Williams- You Got Me Runnin (Krivit Re edit)
- The Salsoul Orchestra- You’re Just The Right Size
- The Salsoul Orchestra- Salsoul Rainbow/Obama Victory Speech
- Diana Ross- No One Gets The Prize
- Diana Ross- The Boss
If you haven’t sent you for mobile number can you please forward to email@example.com in the event we do have to move the party last minute?
Check out some of the SOUL TRAIN FUN from our last few parties
A Few points that might help you organise you day better;
- It is a FAMILY FRIENDLY PICNIC first and foremost so might be a good idea really to pack for a Sunday Picnic in the park (eski/ picnic basket, fruit, drinks and something to sit on etc.)
- We have a spot with a stack of grass around with plenty of room for kids, it is 5 mins from city around Alexandria, there is shade but best people bring some hats etc.
- We will have a Sound System with selectors playing an eclectic mix of real music including everything from Sade to James Brown to De La Soul, Erykah Badu & Masters At Work, Larry Levan, Frankie Knuckles.
- It is open decks with rotating DJ’s (but best people get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if keen to play to confirm time slots)
- We usually aim to get everything starting at about 12pm with ending time around depending on vibe.
- We will be waiting for the weather forecast before we make the call as it is outdoors, if it does look like it’s going to rain then we will simply move till next sunny Sunday. (We will be in touch a few days out for the event via email & on the day via SMS in case we have to move the party, so we will need your Mobile details too so we can get location details quicker)
- ARTIST CALL OUT: If you are a local Musician, MC, Singer, Percussionist or DJ then we are very keen to hear from you if you would like to play, especially if you down to play percussion along the Djs in an open jam vibe for Sunday. (we are hoping to get thing going as a regular Sunday afternoon local soul funk and hip hop open jam session so if your keen to be part of it let us know)
- For local Soul music fan then we simply wants you there enjoying the music, so get a group of friends together, spread the word and come down for a day out it the park to some real music.
Thanks again for getting behind the idea kids.. Sydney definitely needs more people like YOU!
Pray for good weather & hope to see you all at the next one.
Soul of Sydney and Co.
FEB: ERYKAH BADU BLOCK PARTY PICNIC TRIBUTE
About the Block-Party Picnic Movement
In the name of spreading REAL MUSIC! SOUL OF SYDNEY, OUR HOUSE SYDNEY & TONE have teamed up to put forward a small number of hush-hush out door POP UP street & park-side throw-downs during summer.
The idea is a series of free Pop-UP Sunday afternoon family friendly Picnic’s in various outdoor locations around this beautiful city, featuring rotating sets from local DJ’s & Artists still flying the flag for quality music in Sydney.
If you like the idea of hearing everything from James Brown, Jocelyn Brown, Erykah Badu, De La Soul, Dilla & Masters At Work & Frankie Knuckles in an outdoor location where you can have a Sunday Picnic in the sunshine, then join us as we celebrate the gift of great music, in a relaxed environment with friends and al-fresco on picnic blankets!
THE BLOCK-PARTY MIXTAPS:
#1- SOUL OF SYDNEY TRIBUTE TO OBAMA
Running Time: 74 minutes
- The Love Unlimited Orchestra – Midnight Groove,<Soul Of Sydney Edit>
- Fatback Band – Mister Bass Man
- The Head Hunters- God Made Me Funky
- The Honey Drippers- Impeach The President
- The O’Jays- Give The People What They Want
- James Brown- The Boss
- Bill Withers- Lovely Day
- Herb Alpert – RiseYObama EDIT>
- James Brown – Funky President
- Maceo & The Macks – Soul Power ’74
- Donald Byrd- Change- Makes You Want To Hustle
- Curtis Mayfield- Right on For The Darkness
- Stevie Wonder- Black Man
- The Blackbyrds- Rock City Park
- Odyssey- Going Back To My Roots
- John McLaughlin- Planetary Citizen
- Issac Hays- Theme From S.H.A.F.Tt black President.
- The Beginning of The End- Funky Nassau (Part 1)
- George Clinton – One Nation Under A Groove
- Stevie Wonder – Higher Ground
- Lonnie Liston Smith- Expansions
- George Benson- You Can Do It < Phil Toke & Soul of Sydney ‘I Have A DREAM EDIT’
- Roy Ayers- Evolution
#2- Blockparty Picnic Mixtape 2 by DJ Phil Toke (Our House Sydney)
Our main man & resident Blockparty DJ Phil Toke put together this dope mixtape jam packed with some of the daytime FUNK, DISCO & REAL HOUSE jams he has been throwing down at the picnics over the last few months.
1.The Last Minister – Tribute to the JB family
2.Lyn Collins – Think (Jski edit)
3.Kool & The Gang – Love and Understanding
4.War – Galaxy
5.Jimmy Castor – E man boogie
6.Jesse G – thats hot
7.Change – A lover’s holiday
8.Nijel – Dance so fine (instrum)
9.Brothers Johnson – Stomp
10.Superbreak disco edits – Body Bait
11.Society – Can U rock?
12.Phase II – Reachin
13.Terrence Parker – Love’s Got me high
14.Teddy Pendergrass – Only you
15.Sylvester – Over & over