Our rainy day mix-tape recommendation courtesy of our good friends at THE CHOP.
A fresh selection of Sydney’s beat makes gems put together by your homie and Soul of Sydney crowd favorite DJ RAINE SUPREME.
- ROTES – DON’T HURT
- DOMBA (AUDIENT) PUT IT ON ME
- REUBIX – AMBITIOUS MENTALITY
- SOII – RAINY DAYS
- INKSTAINS – DRUGS
- ROTES – STAY TRUE
- SOII – DAT JAZZ / WICHITA LINEMAN/ DRIFTING / GETAWAY TRAIN / NENA
- ILLO – FINSTA
- MUMBLES – THE CHOP TRACK
- SOII – PEANUT BUTTER BOBO
- ILLO – TO THE MOON
- JAE MOON – MASIKA
- INKSTAINS – CROSS (FEAT BILLY ONE)
- SCOTTY B – FORTIFY
- PRO/GRAM – ALL IN THIS
- SOII – WILDLIFE
- WAZA – SATELLITE
- PROLIFIK THE GIFTED – STAKES IS HIGH (INSTRUMENTAL) CAUSTIC YODA & WAZA – GAMBLOR
- ILLO – LOST AND FOUND SOUND
- KID FICTION – DUCK HUNTING
- MUMBLES – MAKE WAY
As we head in to Australia Day long weekend, we through it is only right we share some dope local music for our Friday Mixtape. This is one from April last year and featuring some straight tropical Afro Latin HEAT courtesy of a little podcast tribute we put together for our good friends local 8 piece Latin funk powerhouse WATUSSI.
Style: Afro-Colombian Reggae, Roots, Funk & Beyond
Time: 45 Mins
Recorded:April 1 2004
1/ Cuando Sera
3/ Tu Te Vas
6/ El olvido
7/ Como mi ritmo
9/ Echale fuego
NAS: TIME IS ILLMATIC
The Journey. The Music. The Legacy…
The Film. The Sydney premiere of One9 + Erik Parker‘s 2014 feature-length documentary film that delves deep into the making of Nas‘ 1994 debut album, Illmatic, and the social conditions that influenced its creation. Twenty years after its release, Illmatic has become a hip-hop benchmark that encapsulates the socio-political outlook, enduring spirit, and collective angst of a generation of young black men searching for their voice in America.
We’re thrilled our goodfriends at Groovescooter are doing a special encore screening to close out Nas’ 2015 Australian tour, where he’ll be performing the album in full –
The documentary Featuring Nas alongside the likes of Roxanne Shanté, Alicia Keys, Swizz Beatz, Q-Tip, Pharrell Williams, Jabari “Jungle” Jones, Fab 5 Freddy, Pete Rock,Dr Cornell West, Busta Rhymes and others, after selling out two screenings late last year we now have chance to catch it on the big screen.
NAS: TIME IS ILLMATIC
Two Screenings Only at Golden Age Cinema + Bar
• 6.30 PM SATURDAY 31 JANUARY 2015 ENCORE SCREENING
TICKETS: BOOK TICKETS ON-LINE HERE
BE QUICK – WILL SELL OUT!
PRESENTED BY GROOVESCOOTER + EASTSIDE RADIO
Our good friend Russ Dewbury of UK’s Jazz Room fame is back for in town and hosting his infamous Funk and Soul Club for 2015. After previous sold out shows featuring The Liberators, Craig Charles and Jorge Montiel over the last couple of years he brings his power house show back to THE BASEMENT for 2015 with the help of Melbourne’s powerhouse vocal talents EMMA DONOVAN and her band THE PUTBACKS (Hope Street Recordings) as well a host of dope DJ’s including RUSS DEWBURY (Jazz Rooms – UK) and JORGE MONTIEL (Los Charlys Orchestra Boogiman – London)
Happening next Saturday 31st January at The Basement
Admission $25 – $30 on Door (if available)
Getting in early for Australia Day our good mates Hober Mallow and JR Dynamite have put out this dope collection of home grow Soul, Funk and Disco edits, remixes and original cuts featuring some of our favorite local producers from around this great country.
Including Soul of Sydney crowd favorite DJ MEEM, JR Dynamite, MR CHOMBEE DJ SOUP and more.
- Hober Mallow The Pig Baypack
- Daigo Lonely Coffee Break
- Featurecast Set it off (Dastardly Kuts Shakin Your Ass Rerub)
- Zapp and Roger Just Enough (Casual Connection Rework)
- Tower of Power We Came to Play (Mr. Chombee Edit)
- Skyrider Take a Look at me (Copycat retake)
- Meem Everybody Ready
- Soup Mama Always on stage
- Rick James Moon Child (PhysiQue Dub Edit)
- Samuse Tout le Monde (CC:Disco Edit)
- Klue Musta (Neville brothers Voodoo)
- Brother to Brother Chance With You (Personal Best Edit)
- Gang do Tagarela Rappers Delight (JR.Dynamite Edits)
LISTEN // HERE
||Just caught this killer rework of the classic Groove Therapy cut Tell Me by producer Fitz Lauder has.
CHECK IT OUT OVER AT –> BAMA LOVE SOUL ONLINE