★★ Soul of Sydney Block Party on today (Rain, Hail or Shine) at Greenwood Hotel (36 Blue St, North Sydney)
-In the event of rain/showers we will be under the covers in the courtyard and/or in the chapel room.
-Party will run from 1pm till approx 10pm (possibly later depending on venue)
– Official Facebook EVENT –>www.facebook.com/events/381249472017983
– Parking: there is plenty of street parking around if needed or a car park very close.
– Set times will be posted very soon at
– DOOR SALES: YES we may have VERY LIMITED door sales for but its advised they get there early.
– No Cloakroom, we will not have a cloak room set up.
– LUNCH: The have a great bistro that will be open early & doing lunch time specials early on. If anyone would like to eat and chill out some some afternoon Soul and Funk tunes from 1pm.
– No thongs will be allowed for this jam due to venue licensing restrictions, sneakers are cool and easier to dance in
– Soul of Sydney Mini Documentary filming will take place at the party, if you would like to be part of it please get there early.
– Feel free to call/sms 0405 494 138 if you have any trouble finding us or have any questions.
– Please bring printed tickets, Photo ID, a smile and your dancing shoes *
– #soulofsydney is our official hash tag, *feel free to share your instagram photos, videos & and check out our page atwww.instagram.com/soulofsydney and dont forget to tag us in at Facebook too .
All mixtapes, videos and info at www.soulofsydney.org/blockparty
★★ Set Times- (Approximate) ★★
1:00-2:30 – Krystel Diola
2:30-3:30 – Eadie Ramia
3:30-5:00 – DJ Cman
5:00-6:00 – DJ Trey (Birthday Set)
6:00-7:30 – Phil Toke
7:30-8:30 – Meem
8:30-10:00- WATUSSI (Live)
♫ Mixtapes: Check out podcasts from the DJ’s playing on the day for an idea of the kind of vibes you can expect.
♫ Listen to Soul of Sydney Radio ! –>
★★Afternoon Soul, Funk, Disco & Boogie, Early House vibes & Beyond | Grown folks music for your BODY and for your SOUL!
★For videos of our block party jams check out videos and info here:
Having sold out countless shows with blustering horns, party-fuelled rhythms and rocking roots bass-lines, Watussi are back to remind you not to forget.
Lead by charismatic Columbian ex-pat, Oscar Jimenez, Watussi are a well-traveled troupe of Latino-tinged roots rockers. Having toured through Asia, playing in South Korea and Japan, the band also made their first trip to South America in 2010, where they were honoured with an invitation to play at the celebrated four-yearlyFestival Iberoamericano de Teatro in Colombia, where they became the first Australian band ever to perform.
Their 2008 ARIA-nominated debut album Tequila, Sangre y Fuego was hailed a work of genius. It earned them a series of accolades and found its way into the hands of Brian Eno, who handpicked the band to perform at the Sydney Opera House in 2009 as part of his curation for the inaugural Vivid LIVE festival.
2011 saw Watussi teaming up with some musical idols, as they toured the country with latin rock legendSantana and recorded a yet to be released EP with New Orleans blues pianist Jon Cleary. 2012 has seen the Afrocolombian octet continue the trend, with their sold out Australia Day double bill with New York based Cuban master percussionist Pedro Martinez as part of this year’s acclaimed Sydney Festival program. This kicks off the band’s summer touring schedule, which takes them to East Coast Blues and Roots Festival,Adelaide Fringe Festival, Port Fairy Folk Festival and WOMAD New Zealand.
Watussi’s new album, titled El Olvido (The Oblivion), was released on the 16th September 2011 through MGM.
★ABOUT SOUL OF SYDNEY
Created in November 2009, Soul of Sydney is an independent, artist run collective who are bonded by a love of ‘funk’ based music. Our people include DJ’s, Musicians, Producers, Dancers & Designers who have come together to promote and support the music we love in this city, and the street culture around it.
Soul of Sydney Block Party is our monthly Sunday musical afternoon (12-9pm) feast. Focused on a family orientated get together, DJ’s, Record Collectors, B-boys & B-Girls, and musicians come down to share & enjoy some of the music they love in a completely different environment, outside of bars or clubs.
We have an ‘open decks, open mic & open dance floor’ policy just to keep it personal and give everyone a chance to do their thing where locals can come down as our guests outside of a usual club set.
Music styles generally sit at a safe middle ground of Soul, Funk, Disco and a fair bit of Jazz & golden era hip hop stuff too with artists James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Bob Marley, De La Soul, J Dilla, Stevie Wonder, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash, Larry Levan amongst the playlist.
★❤♫ ♩ ▔
SOUL OF SYDNEY MIXTAPES: