Soul Of Sydney and Our House Sydney are blessed to present one of the legends (not used lightly) of New York Disco and an early pioneer of dance music production, remixing and DJ‘ing – John Morales.
John has been involved in the creation of hit DISCO records for the better part of 30 years with over 500 songs on his own, and as part of John Morales & Sergio Munzibai (M & M Productions). Known in the industry as an innovator and chance taker, John has always welcomed the challenge of working with new artists and can lay claim to being one of the originators of the extended mix, remix and re-edit concept.
Having worked, remixed or edited everyone from Marvin Gaye, Inner Life, Jocelyn Brown, Fantastic Aleems, Teddy Pendergrass, Harold Melvin, Evelyn Thomas, Fantastic Aleems, Brass Construction, War, Candi Staton, Loletta Holloway, First Choice, Salsoul Orchestra & Double Exposure just to name a few, expect John to give a FUNK & DISCO lesson covering 30+ years of the sound that shaped music as we know it today.
Local supports include Gian Arpino, Phil Toke, Alex Dimitriades, Phil Hudson & Soul of Sydney DJ’s
Special limited $15 presale tickets are available via email from either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Also check out www.soulofsydney.org/blockparty for more ticket info.
In 1975 while working as a DJ in local Bronx club, John Morales realised that he wanted to lengthen the duration of some of his records. Back then the duration of most records was 3 to 4 minutes, so by using his TEAC 71/2 and a box of razor blades, John started splicing tape for endless hours and became one the first DJ’s to create the ‘extended mix’ (or ‘remix’ in it’s original form). In doing so, he realised that he could achieve a similar outcome by cutting, slicing and taping parts from different recordings. This formed the basis for his acclaimed (deadly) medleys. John says “I can still see the 100’s of edits zoom by every-time I play the tape”. John Morales started to release some of his reel to reel edits, medleys and remixes to Acetate via the Sunshine Sound (a NYC studio where DJ’s could bring their reel to reel tapes and have acetate copies cut one at a time), so that he could play these tracks at clubs. Greg Carmichael gave him his first mixing job after hearing some of his Sunshine Acetate mixes and these first two official mixes made him famous: ‘Dance and Shake Your Tambourine‘ by ‘The Universal Robot Band‘ and the classic ‘I’m Caught Up” by Inner Life. However some of his early mixes and edits, even those officially released, were and remain uncredited and so might not appear in his discography! John has worked for numerous acts and has been involved in the creation of over 500 songs – both on his own and as part of John Morales & Sergio Munzibai (M & M Productions). John Morales can lay claim to being one of the most important figures in the creation of the extended mix, remix and re-edit concept.
Marvin Gaye – Heavy Love Affair (John Morales Edit)
Teena Marie – I Need Your Lovin Live Rare Long M+M Long Beach 1981
Inner Life -Aint No Mountain – Breakdown Mix
- SYDNEY SOUL PATROL: BLOCK PARTY (Sun 4th Dec) feat; Soul of Sydney DJ’s + Gian Aripino, Tom Tutton (Tan Crackers Soul Club) Phil Toke, Eadie Ramia & Michael Zac (Our House DJ’s) MK1 (Sounds of the Zulu Nation) Ben Peterson (Tone) (soulofsydney.org)
- NYC Disco legend John Morales, Sunday Afternoon DJ Set, Supported by Phil Toke, Gian Arpino, Alex Dimitriadis & Soul of Sydney DJ’s ( April 1st) (soulofsydney.org)
- NYC Disco legend John Morales, Sunday Afternoon DJ Set, Supported by Phil Toke, Gian Arpino, Alex Dimitriadis & Soul of Sydney DJ’s ( April 1st) (sydneyunderground.org)
- Our House Sydney Presents: New York Disco Legend John Morales (NYC) (ourhousesydney.com)
- Classic Nyc Disco & House Mix: John Morales (the M & M Mixes) (sydneyunderground.org)
- SOUL, DISCO, FUNK: Marvin Gaye : Re-Edits, Remixes & Remakes: Feat. John Morales, Danny Krivit ,6th Borough Project, Sly and Robbie, Gil Scott Heron (soulofsydney.org)
- DISCO EDIT: Ronnie Dyson – All Over Your Face (John Morales After-Session M & M Mix) (soulofsydney.org)
- Marvin Gaye – The Rare John Morales Mixes (Your The Man Whats Going On, I Want You, Love Party, Heavy Love Affair, Funk Me) (soulofsydney.org)
- John Morales Classic Disco House Mixtape (soulofsydney.org)
- Seminal NYC DISCO, Early House: The Boss ! (soulofsydney.org)
- Our House Presents: New York Disco Legend John Morales in Sydney (ourhousesydney.wordpress.com)