Thanks to Grindin Music, this Friday night sees Melt Bar in Sydney, transform into a night of Nu soul grooves of laidback live music, DJ’s and of course ERIC LAU (Ubiquity Records/UK). If you’ve never heard of him before, you need to know. Born and raised in the UK, Eric Lau’s musical journey is not atypical of a producers, nor was his musical exposure vast and deep – he had little to do with music growing up. Intent on finishing his business degree under the strict provision of his parents, Eric’s life was systematically planned out in the corporate world. It wasn’t until the suicide of his bestfriend at University did he rethink his direction in life, coming across the world of music, which would forever cement his passion and direction in life.
He released his debut album in 2008 through acclaimed Ubiquity Records called “New Territories”, prior to that had already produced music for various artists and had featured on compilation CD’s. He has produced music for artists such as Lupe Fiasco, Dudley Perkins, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Tanya Morgan and many others. His music production is similar to J Dilla or Sa Ra Creative Partners, the difference is, less is more. J Dilla is one of Lau’s musical heroes paying tribute to the great late Jay Dee in a track called ‘For the D’ produced by Eric Lau featuring rapper Guilty Simpson. ‘For the D’ can be found on a compilation CD entitled ‘Producers No.1′ which showcases quality music from beat production ranging from broken beat, to hip hop to soul.
With the recent release of Kilawatt series V2 (March 2010), we’re in for more than a treat this Friday night. Eric Lau will be playing a DJ set at Melt Bar with live performances from 13th Son featuring DJ Sandro, New Soul/Jazz/Hip Hop outfit and regular residents at Melt Bar 5 Coffees, DJ’s Trey, JC Funkdafied, Huwston and of course a DJ set from Eric Lau! So if you want to hear music and vibe in an atmosphere you’ve never experienced before, come down. Grindin Music has especially been keen to present a night to you all that has musically never been done before. Many people forget that LIVE music content is what is missing here in Sydney and this night isn’t just live music, but live soul with a dash of jazzy hip hop. If this night goes well, we’ll be doing this on a monthly basis. Show your support for something new where it’s all about Music!
Doors open at 10pm til late!
2ser’s DJ Huwston spoke with Eric Lau on Soul Glow this afternoon. Click on the link below to listen which you can also find on his blog SPAREHANDS
ERIC LAU INTERVIEW ON ‘I COULD STORIES’ SERIES:
ERIC LAU MYSPACE – http://www.myspace.com/ericlaumusic
- The Mission EP – Eric Lau write up by Carminelitta (freedomhallblog.wordpress.com)
- Support 3LAU and Win Sol Republic Headphones [CONTEST] (coedmagazine.com)
- 3lau Presents Music With Morals [Video] (collegecandy.com)
- Weather Fremdcast 19022012 (fremdtunes.com)
- MadLib… Mushrooms & Mixtapes @ Red Bull Music Video (Sao Paulo 2002) (soulofsydney.org)
- Sanford-Burnham researchers find molecular switch that allows melanoma to resist therapy (eurekalert.org)
- Joe Claussell & Danny Krivit to play in Sydney? (sydneyunderground.org)
- ERYKAH BADU SYDNEY CONCERT AFTER PARTY: DJ Lo Down Loretta Brown aka Erykah Badu, SUN 19TH JAN (NEO SOUL, FUNK, HIP HOP, DISCO) (soulofsydney.org)
- CLASSIC HIP HOP VIDEO: Ice Cube – It Was A Good Day (soulofsydney.org)
- Mark de Clive-Lowe: Renegades (Review) (popmatters.com)