- Soul Of Sydney
Email us email@example.com for tracklisting, download links or to have your mixes featured.
For Bookings for any DJ’s you hear in these mixes or at our events just get in touch;
Soul of Sydney Block Party Radio #62: Soul Travelin’ (Texas Edition) – Selected by Gian Arpino (Tan Crackers Soul Club)
I love putting together a mix of the records purchased from my holidays overseas. This one has an assortment of soulful sounds found on the wonderful black rounds of wax. So without further ado may I present to you SOUL TRAVELIN’ (Texas Edition)
More of Gian Arpino Mixes, Edits
TAN CRACKERS SOUL CLUB – ‘PASS THE INFORMATION, EXTEND THE KNOWLEDGE’
A soul club where friends and music lovers from all walks of life get to hang out, dance and be merry to music that the Sydney scene doesn’t hear too often. We play an eclectic mix of dance floor soul you’ve never heard alongside staple classics to create an incredible atmosphere unlike any other in this city.
- DEEP HOUSE SYDNEY: Masters At Work @ Civic Hotel LIVE NYE at Civic Hotel (SOULFUL HOUSE, DEEP HOUSE, AFRO-HOUSE,CLASSIC HOUSE) (spiritofhouse.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday Carlos Santana (born July 20, 1947)! Full Concert Santana – León, México 1988 (soulofsydney.org)
- Soul of Sydney Block Party Radio #61: MK-1 PRESENTS SOUNDS OF THE ZULU NATION 100% SUCKA FREE (FUNK, BOOGIE, HIP HOP, SOUL, R&B) (soulofsydney.org)
- Spirit of House Seminal House Classic: Alison Limerick – Where Love Lives (1991) | (Deep House Sydney, Soulful House Sydney) (soulofsydney.org)
- TOUR: NZ NEO-SOUL QUEEN Ladi 6 in Sydney during July (soulofsydney.org)
- Review: Lyrically Challenged Collective Trust Your Struggles [Mixtape] (hangout.altsounds.com)
- Nature’s Coolant by Barb D’Arpino (500px.com)
- Sydney ranks as 10th most expensive city (news.theage.com.au)
- T’Melle (@itstmelle) “The Interview” (Mixtape) (djsdoingwork.com)
An early pioneer of the disco mix, John Morales was involved in some of the genre’s most important records.
John Morales was born in the Bronx, New York. He is recognized worldwide as one of the early pioneers of the disco mix. Having begun his career in 1975 as a local DJ in the Bronx, he also spun records for the US Armed Forces before he settled into the groove of his true calling. Realising he wanted some of the three or four minute-long records to last longer, he started splicing tape with his TEAC and in doing so, arguably invented the ‘extended edit’. After sending some of his mixes to acetate for other DJs, he was soon in demand on an official capacity and ended up being involved in the mix of some of disco’s most important records – big and small.
- 1 No Stoppin’ That Rockin’ Instant Funk BBE
- 2 I’m Caught Up (In A One Night Love Affair) Inner Life Unidisc
- 3 Weekend Class Action feat. Chris Wiltshire Sleeping Bag
- 4 I Want You (All Tonight) Curtis Hairston Pretty Pearl
- 5 Let’s Do It Convertion feat. Leroy Burgess Sam
- 6 Itching For Love Mikki Emerald International
- 7 All Fall Down Five Star Tent
- 8 Breakin’ Down (Sugar Samba) Julia And Company District Of Columbia
- 9 Axel F Harold Faltermeyer MCA
- 10 Somebody Else’s Guy Jocelyn Brown Unidisc
- 11 This Time Funk Deluxe Salsoul
- 12 Soul Recession (Club Edit) Double Exposure Soultronics
- 13 A Funky Space Reincarnation Marvin Gaye Polydor
- 14 Barely Breaking Even Universal Robot Band Red Greg
Soul Of Sydney & Our House Sydney are blessed to present a very special June Long Weekend event featuring renowned NYC DISCO & EARLY HOUSE producer and DJ, JOHN MORALES (M+M Productions, BBE RECORDS) & Sydney’s own disco king Stephen Allkins (Love-Tattoo).
NYC Disco Legend : JOHN MORALES (M+M Productions, BBE RECORDS).
Sydney Disco Legend: Stephen Allkins [LOVE-TATTOO]
Frenzie (Groove Therapy)
Phil Toke (Soul of Sydney, Our House)
Soul of Sydney DJ’s + Friends
Jason Sennitt (Melbourne)
Tickets: – $10 – Early Bird Tickets (Sold Out)
$15 – Gen. Release.( On Sale Now)
$20 – Final Release (Soon)
On Sale Now -> www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?477361
Facebook Event -> www.facebook.com/events/494565210613267/
ABOUT OUR DJ’s
JOHN MORALES (NYC
John returns to Sydney after absolutely tearing the roof off our party in April 2012 and playing spots all over the world on the back of his killer new release.
M + M Mixes Vol III : NYC Underground Disco Anthems & Unreleased Edits out on BBE RECORDS
John has been involved in the creation of hit DISCO records for the better part of 30 years with over 1000 songs on his own, and as part of John Morales & Sergio Munzibai (M & M Productions). Known in the industry as an innovator and chance taker, John has always welcomed the challenge of working with new artists and can lay claim to being one of the originators of the extended mix, remix and re-edit concept.
Having worked, remixed or edited everyone from Marvin Gaye, Inner Life, Jocelyn Brown, Fantastic Aleems, Teddy Pendergrass, Harold Melvin, Evelyn Thomas, Fantastic Aleems, Brass Construction, War, Candi Staton, Loletta Holloway, First Choice, Salsoul Orchestra & Double Exposure just to name a few, expect John to give a FUNK & DISCO lesson covering 30+ years of the sound that shaped music as we know it today.
STEPHEN ALLKINS [LOVE-TATTOO]
‘New York had Larry Levan, Chicago had Ron Hardy, Sydney had Stephen Allkins..’
We are excited to be also be hosting a very rare afternoon set from Sydney’s own home legendary DJ & Producer Mr Stephen Allkins.
Being one of the true pioneers of dance music in Sydney & playing the the very first disco clubs & warehouse parties from 1978, it is safe to say that Stephen Allkins aka [love] tattoo could rightly claim the trademark of “Mr.Disco”, his extensive record collection & his infamous sets over the years and legacy is also a testament to that.
He first started DJing in the late 70′s and has inspired a whole generation of DJ’s through his infamous sets at warehouse parties, raves and clubs over the years and some absolutely blissful production as [Love-Tattoo]
Expect a very special journey through the disco, funk & early house sounds that matter from the original DJ’s DJ who has seen it and done it all.
Who will also be playing along our own Soul of Sydney DJ’s, Phil Toke, Shan Frenzie (Groove Therapy Radio – 2ser), Michael Zac & Eadie Ramia.
Facebook Event -> www.facebook.com/events/494565210613267/
In 1975 while working as a DJ in local Bronx club, John Morales realised that he wanted to lengthen the duration of some of his records. Back then the duration of most records was 3 to 4 minutes, so by using his TEAC 71/2 and a box of razor blades, John started splicing tape for endless hours and became one the first DJ’s to create the ‘extended mix’ (or ‘remix’ in it’s original form). In doing so, he realised that he could achieve a similar outcome by cutting, slicing and taping parts from different recordings. This formed the basis for his acclaimed (deadly) medleys. John says “I can still see the 100′s of edits zoom by every-time I play the tape”. John Morales started to release some of his reel to reel edits, medleys and remixes to Acetate via the Sunshine Sound (a NYC studio where DJ’s could bring their reel to reel tapes and have acetate copies cut one at a time), so that he could play these tracks at clubs. Greg Carmichael gave him his first mixing job after hearing some of his Sunshine Acetate mixes and these first two official mixes made him famous: ‘Dance and Shake Your Tambourine‘ by ‘The Universal Robot Band‘ and the classic ‘I’m Caught Up” by Inner Life. However some of his early mixes and edits, even those officially released, were and remain uncredited and so might not appear in his discography! John has worked for numerous acts and has been involved in the creation of over 500 songs – both on his own and as part of John Morales & Sergio Munzibai (M & M Productions). John Morales can lay claim to being one of the most important figures in the creation of the extended mix, remix and re-edit concept.
Please Note: Our last 4 parties have completely sold out so be sure to lock in a spot on the dancefloor early for this special show.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for updates and event info.
- Soul of Sydney: Free Block Party – This Sun May 19 – 1pm | Spirit of House Feat. Nyc Disco Legend John Morales (bbe Records) – June 9 (queens Bday) (soulofsydney.org)
- RARE UNDERGROUND CHICAGO HOUSE CLASSIC: Isaac Hayes Can’t Turn Around ( Ron Hardy’s Edit) (soulofsydney.org)
- John Morales Presents the M&m Mixes Volume 3. (soulofsydney.org)
- Spirit of House Block Party Warm Up Boogie Mix by Downtown Cam Brown (soulofsydney.org)
True house soldiers.. Masters at Work playing in Sydney for the first time for House Solutions in Sydney on NYE 2012.
Check out this 1 hour segment from a killer night for Sydney house massive.
Big ups to Rob & Co. at House Solutions for making it all happen and pushing that real Spirit of House in Sydney.
Check out more at House Solutions HERE
NEXT PARTY! SPIRIT OF HOUSE BLOCK PARTY : AN AFTERNOON TRIBUTE TO 30+ YEARS OF HOUSE MUSIC & ITS DISCO & FUNK ROOTS!
Chicago House – New York Disco – Boogie – Funk – Deep House – Afro House & Beyond!
SPIRIT OF HOUSE SECRET BLOCK PARTY – SUNDAY MAY 5
An afternoon tribute to 30+ Years of House Music & Its Disco-Funk Roots!
SEMINAL CHICAGO HOUSE – NEW YORK DISCO – GARAGE – FUNK – EARLY HOUSE MOMENTS
Hosted By Soul of Sydney DJ’s & Friends, Phil Toke, Shan Frenzie, Danny De Sousa (Birthday Set), James Scott (CO-Op), Michael Zac, Eadie Ramia & More
Very Limited $5 Tickets still avalible at Resident Advisor HERE
Check out this video from our last party.. with Sydneys own power-house DJ Frenzie setting a funk fire 3 hours before DJ Rahaan event got there..
ABOUT SPIRIT OF HOUSE?
Spirit Of House is a secret afternoon party collaboration between Soul of Sydney & Our House put on every couple of months to pay homage to the last 30+ years of House music & its Disco-Funk roots in unique & interesting locations. We make a special point pay tribute to the DJ’s, Producers and iconic clubs who have helped create and shape House music over the last three decades. Figures & Clubs such as Frankie Knuckles, Larry Levan, Ron Hardy, Glenn Underground, John Morales, Kerri Chandler, Ron Trent, Joey Negro, Joe Claussell, Danny Krivit, Kenny Dixon Jr, Theo Parrish, Norman Jay, Lil Louis Masters At Work The Warehouse, Zanzibar, The Musik Box and The Paradise Garage.
Our House Sydney & Soul-Of Sydney, bringing you that BODY MUSIC!
CHICAGO HOUSE – NY DISCO – GARAGE – FUNK – BOOGIE – DEEP HOUSE – ACID HOUSE
SOUL OF SYDNEY BLOCK PARTY | SPIRIT OF HOUSE VIDEOS:
- A TASTE OF HONEY @ SPIRIT OF HOUSE – WATCH HERE
- SOUL TRAIN @ ROOFTOP BLOCK PARTY – WATCH HERE
- ELECTRIC SLIDE DANCE @ SECRET BLOCK PARTY – WATCHHERE
- PENE FLAMENCA BREAKDOWN @ SPIRIT OF HOUSE WAREHOUSE PARTY – WATCH HERE
- SECRET BLOCK PARTY HIGHLIGHTS – WATCH HERE
- Monday Morning Funk & Disco Mix: Dj Rahaan Red Light Radio Live Mix From Amsterdam (soulofsydney.org)
- Sunday Disco & Funk Mix: Lumberjacks ft. Rahaan & Marcel Vogel @ Red Light Radio (Amsterdam) (soulofsydney.org)
- EVENT: Detroit Techno, Deep House: Derrick May heads to Sydney to play at Goldfish Kings Cross Sydney (soulofsydney.org)
- Beach Disco – Ibiza Cloudcast [Episode 02] (beachdisco.wordpress.com)